General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PVC valve install

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PVC valve install

On a 99 camaro ls1 is the Pcv lip suppose to go inside the rubber vacuum hose that goes around the intake or just butt up against it?
Old 09-16-2015, 01:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

The PCV vavle should fully seat inside the rubber boot. The metal lip around the valve should be tucked inside that boot.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is what I thought the mechanic at the dealer says the lip is suppose to butt up next to it and not go inside the hose. I am getting a vacuum leak so he taped it up tight.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by chevygirl
the mechanic at the dealer says the lip is suppose to butt up next to it and not go inside the hose.
This is typically true in older applications where the PCV valve inserts directly into the valve cover. But the boot used for the LS1 applications was designed to accept the entire valve within - and it has a provision inside the boot for the ridge/lip on the valve. The valve will in fact fully seat inside the boot with a little effort. The mechanic must not be familiar with these.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you I will have to fix it myself because he doesn't think so and I don't want the person working on my car to be mad at me for sure. If he has torn the boot and that is why he taped it I am going to have a real problem though since that part is not serviceable which redoing the whole vacuum tubing around the intake.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thank you I will have to fix it myself because he doesn't think so and I don't want the person working on my car to be mad at me for sure. If he has torn the boot and that is why he taped it I am going to have a real problem though since that part is not serviceable.
Haha, understandable.

Just to be sure, I have a spare '99-'02 PCV boot in my parts stash and I checked to make sure it worked as I described above. My memory was correct, that lip goes fully inside the boot with a little effort. You can see the lip provision molded into the boot if you look inside of it. The mechanic probably thought it shouldn't be pushed that hard, but it takes a bit of effort to get it to seat properly.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope I can fix it back he has taped up the boot tight with black tape going to be hard to get off for sure. He says the mass airflow sensor was dirty with debris and that is causing the lean condition with po171 and p0174.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

If he has torn the boot and that is why he taped it I am going to have a real problem though since that part is not serviceable which redoing the whole vacuum tubing around the intake.
Just to be clear, you can in fact replace just the boot (it is serviceable in this way) - the issue is that you can't BUY just the boot. GM decided to make the entire system one part number, so you have to buy it all and it's not cheap. BUT, you can pull the boot off of the new system and replace only this part if that's all you need, or perhaps find a used one for sale from someone who has modified the PCV system.

Hopefully you will find it fully intact underneath the tape. These boots (and the elbow that connects to the intake) do tend to deteriorate (mine cracked apart around ~100k miles) so the tape might actually be helping. The proper thing would be to just replace it at that point though.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks. I had that whole piece replaced 6 months ago so that is why I am hoping my new part is okay. We will see if the mass airflow sensor cleaning fixes the check engine light.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:14 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Just to be clear, you can in fact replace just the boot (it is serviceable in this way) - the issue is that you can't BUY just the boot. GM decided to make the entire system one part number, so you have to buy it all and it's not cheap.
I've seen the spark plug boots used for this purpose, FWIW
Old 09-18-2015, 09:05 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I would bet the tech chickened out because it's hard to get in the boot. There is a metal heat sink inside the boot that clips around the PCV, which makes it a killer to get in.

I usually have to use a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the PCV while I push it in to the boot and manipulate the metal clip.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OK I have to ask, what does the end of the metal clip connect to or does it just hang in the air?
Old 09-26-2015, 09:29 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by LS1121
OK I have to ask, what does the end of the metal clip connect to or does it just hang in the air?
The valve location is different on a '98, and so is the clip. On the '99+ it connects to the head via a wire and nut. On the '98 there isn't a wire, the clip connects directly to the valve cover.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the thread-starter, please, please don't use one of those cheap aftermarket PCV valves from Autozone. Those are ridiculous. The spring tension stops a millimeter short of the valve closing and will therefore sit open in the horizontal position, leading to even greater rates of oil consumption on top of the tremendous amount that the PCV in LS engines are known to suck out. Stay with the OEM AC Delco brand.

Quick Reply: PVC valve install