General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

solved my creaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 04:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solved my creaking

just thought id share my experience. I have poly/rod LCAs and PHB, and poly swaybar bushings. MFers are loud when they start to talk. normally once every couple months I pull everything off and give it a good lubing, marine grease, used anti seize for my swaybar bushings, graphite for rod ends, whatever I have read that may work... usually would quiet it down enough to make it worth my while. this time I was lazy and picked up some wd40 white lithium grease. decided to only take my tires off and leave all suspension as is and just spray at the joints. i hit everything i thought was making noise (this time was bad because i hadn't been under there due to time/physical constraints). and i gotta say it shut everything up and was way less work than removing everything and doing each piece individually. only been a couple days, but i don't remember it ever being this quiet, even with stock.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully that lasts for you. I had the same issue as you and went through several brands of synthetic non-oil based lubes and never had any luck. They would only last maybe a week if that then would get super loud again. I tried this bushing lube from polybushings.com and this is the stickiest, stringiest, and messiest stuff I've ever worked with but it has lasted for a year now without any noise from any of my poly joints! I would highly recommend this stuff!
Old 09-21-2015, 03:56 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Make sure you don't use anything but a quality synthetic grease on the polyurethane bushings as it could potentially cause them to soften and make noise. Out of all the different greases I have personally used I have always found that Green Grease worked the best for me. The rod ends shouldn't need any lubrication unless they are super cheap because the majority of rod ends out their used for suspension parts have teflon liners in them which keeps everything moving freely.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been looking at a few of your suspension products. So how prominent of a noise are we talking here and how often do polyurethane bushings need greasing?
So double rod ends will eliminate noises?

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Make sure you don't use anything but a quality synthetic grease on the polyurethane bushings as it could potentially cause them to soften and make noise. Out of all the different greases I have personally used I have always found that Green Grease worked the best for me. The rod ends shouldn't need any lubrication unless they are super cheap because the majority of rod ends out their used for suspension parts have teflon liners in them which keeps everything moving freely.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read that yellow teflon tape wrapped between the bars and bushings will stop the squeaks pretty much forever. The yellow tape is designed for use with gas pipe fittings and is impervious to oil and grease. I just replaced the bars on my C5 coupe with larger bars and used the tape. Too soon to tell if it's going to work long term but it's doing the job now.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

idk if bmr is offering their elastomer bushings yet but i put a set of them on back in march and havent greased them since the day i put them in and theyre still quiet
Old 10-07-2015, 09:37 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
I've been looking at a few of your suspension products. So how prominent of a noise are we talking here and how often do polyurethane bushings need greasing?
So double rod ends will eliminate noises?
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, we have been super busy here so I haven't had as much time as I would like to be here on the forums. As long as the bushings are greased properly you won't have any additional noise. I generally tell people to grease the bushings every 3rd oil change or so. If the bushings want to be greased sooner they will let you know. We get very few complaints about noisy poly bushings and when we do 99% of the time regreasing them takes care of the issue. With the rods ends you have a different noise, you won't get any of the creaking/squeaking that can happen from an ungreased poly bushing but you will get more pronounced NVH because the rod ends transfer the noise more thoroughly and don't act like a buffer like the poly bushings do.

Originally Posted by redbird555
idk if bmr is offering their elastomer bushings yet but i put a set of them on back in march and havent greased them since the day i put them in and theyre still quiet
We do have the elastomer bushings we just haven't finished integrating them into our systems. It is something that we should have done soon as it got caught up behind our new 2015+ Mustang stuff.

The elastomer bushings are a nice mix between the rubber and poly bushings. I think once we have them released and are advertising them they will be popular. If anybody is interested in the elastomer bushings just call me directly and I can help you out with them.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: solved my creaking