General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn Signal Issue

Old 09-27-2015, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Issue

I bought my 97 Z28 a couple months ago. The high beams won't come on, the multi-function switch doesn't seem to pull back far enough to grab it. I put on some clear/smoked corners and used 3157 amber bulbs, it had a 3057 in the socket. Now when my headlights are on, the high beams come on automatically and I can't turn them off, as well as no turn signal on the left. When I have just the DRL/parking lights on, the left turn works fine. The socket does look burned and somewhat cruddy inside. Is that the obvious and only problem? Should I get a new connector and do the Multi function switch as well. I don't get why it worked fine before, changing the bulb made it go wacky.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2015, 10:43 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Your turn signal and high beam issues are most likely separate:

- The high beams are controlled by a switch mounted to the base of the steering column. Your lever actuates a metal rod that travels down the inside of your column and then actuates that switch. You should be able to remove the lower IP covers on the driver's side and see what's going on at that switch and watch the rod poke at the physical high beam switch. (Maybe the switch is bad. You could also have some binding in the rod or lever, which will be a lot less fun to deal with...)

- You turn signal issue indicates that there is a short between your parking light circuit and your turn signal circuit. Your bulb has two filaments. One for the turn signals/DRL's and another for the parking lights. Your parking lights are always energized with your headlights, so that is probably the source of your problem. It could be caused by the wrong bulb, a bad bulb, a bad socket, bad wiring, etc...

Do you still have your old bulbs?

BTW - The charred socket is a normal thing. It doesn't necessarily indicate that it's bad - just crispy.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I should have clarified that, my high beams haven't worked since I bought the car. Which is why I'm confused as to why the high beams just come on with the DRL's, since I changed the bulb. The lever doesn't "grab" the switch for the high beams.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You said, in your first post, that the high beams came on with your headlights. Are you saying that the high beams also now come on with your DRL's?
Old 09-30-2015, 01:49 AM
Staging Lane

Yes, they automatically come on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn Signal Issue