General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Passed smog/egr question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passed smog/egr question

I just passed Ca smog in my 2000 TA. It's so weird and I thought I'd share my experience. As long as I've owned the car the egr would never set to ready. I replaced it and messed with the pipes and gasket till I was sick of trying to complete that stupid drive cycle. It is much more difficult to do in an m6. So two years ago I blocked it off till this year when a 2000 can only have one readiness monitor incomplete. And it is EVAP. So I was stuck as to what to do.

The weirdest thing about it is, with it blocked off and totally unhooked it set to ready. Throwing a code for egr low voltage and a pending code for the same it still read complete. The cats however now would not set. I figured that was due to the egr being unhooked. So I hooked it back up, did some drive cycles to get the cats to read ready and low and behold all systems ready. I believe if I reset them the egr would again not set to ready.

I don't care because I passed Ca.smog . But does anyone know why I have to unhook my egr to get it to set ready? I just find it strange. If I have to pass in two years ,I'll do the same thing after a reset . Let them all set ready(except cats) without it hooked up,then hook it up and the cats will set within a day or two.

Last edited by celtsean; 11-28-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:35 PM
12 Second Club

Even stranger yet is my situation; I got NO EGR codes when I removed the whole system, and then when a tuner tried to 'turn off/write out' the EGR codes from the ECM (as a safeguard to keep them from coming on in the fututre) that set the EGR codes and lit up the SES light.

Of course, when he turned the system back on in the ECM (with the WHOLE EGR system STILL off the car, and NO resistor in the connector) the codes disappeared, and the SES light was off PERMANENTLY!?!?
Old 12-01-2015, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Even stranger yet is my situation; I got NO EGR codes when I removed the whole system, and then when a tuner tried to 'turn off/write out' the EGR codes from the ECM (as a safeguard to keep them from coming on in the fututre) that set the EGR codes and lit up the SES light.

Of course, when he turned the system back on in the ECM (with the WHOLE EGR system STILL off the car, and NO resistor in the connector) the codes disappeared, and the SES light was off PERMANENTLY!?!?
I hate the egr. It does nothing for my car, except make me have this random,occasional ,slight surge at idle. I forgot all about that because I had it blocked off for a year and a half. As soon as it was back on that symptom returned.
Yours is even weirder than mine though. Unhooked with no codes? That really is strange. I can't even begin to understand why this is occurring. In either situation. Very, very peculiar .

Quick Reply: Passed smog/egr question