General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-20-2016, 01:50 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Turn Signal Issue

Old 12-16-2015, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Issue

Hello everyone,

Before the issue the left turn signal worked and the right turn signal was solid when in use. Through some very easy diagnostic, it was due to the front passenger side signal bulb being out.

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a pair of LED 3157 bulbs (they were out of the basic 3157 bulbs). I went ahead and changed both front signals since the package came with two bulbs.

Now, when I turn on the car both front signals come on and the dashboard shows the signal light for both sides and it stays solid. Nothing I do will turn off the front signals nor the dashboard lights besides turning the car off.

When I use the signal the back signals will come on but do not flash. They also do not flash when using hazards.

It would normally sound like a flasher issue, however, the lights worked properly (flashing included) before I changed the bulbs (other than the right side since one bulb was out).

Any thoughts?

PS: The car is a 2002 Camaro Z28
Old 12-17-2015, 08:37 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You are on it. When you buy the LED bulbs, you need to replace your flashers with electronic versions. (The burned bulb behavior you describe is consistent with how the original thermal flashers work when a bulb goes out.)

That's actually one of the thermal flashers' benefits - they "tell" you when a bulb is burned out. The thermal flashers are sized for a certain electrical load and the smaller LED loads make the thermal flashers act like a bulb is burned out. The electronic flashers will flash, regardless of the load on them. If you have LED's, that's probably less of a concern.

BTW - You should probably replace both of your flashers. One for the turn signals and the other for your hazards. The hazard flasher is sized to be a little more forgiving - but probably a good idea anyway.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:59 AM

Okay, I wasn't sure exactly which flasher to buy as I could not find any that specifically said electronic flasher, so I bought this one: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1546&ppt=C0010 and this one: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1546&ppt=C0010. So now the hazards work and the turn signals still do not work. They come on when I turn the lights all the way in the daytime and come on when the lights come on automatically at night.

During the day if I use the blinker, it will make one click sound and then the light stays solid, both the front and rear light will be on but solid.

I tried each flasher that I bought in both positions and it was the same results. Should I return one of the flashers and get the other or what?
Old 12-17-2015, 06:41 PM
Save the manuals!

The first flasher you purchased is an electronic flasher. It should work for your hazards or your turn signals under all conditions.

The second flasher you purchased is a thermal flasher. It's the wrong type for your bulbs and I recall the wrong number for the car. So, it won't work for you at all.

If you move that electronic flasher to the left position, your hazards should work fine. Then, if you move it to the right position, your turn signals should work fine. If so, just go buy a second one and put them in both positions and you should be good to go.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:18 PM

So I actually did that and it did not work. However, I think I know why it isn't, it seems that my turn signals and somehow functioning directly with my DRL.

What I mean is, if it is night time and all lights are on, then the turn signals are on as well. If it is day time and the DRLs come on for whatever reason, the turn signals come on with them. Basically, anytime the DRLs are on, the turn signals also come on.

I'm not sure how this could have happened, as I changed no wiring when I changed the bulbs.

Anyways, when I attempt to use the blinker both lights for that side come on and stay solid, even with the electronic flasher.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PioneerRaptor
Okay, I wasn't sure exactly which flasher to buy as I could not find any that specifically said electronic flasher, so I bought this one: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1546&ppt=C0010 and this one: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1546&ppt=C0010. So now the hazards work and the turn signals still do not work. They come on when I turn the lights all the way in the daytime and come on when the lights come on automatically at night.

During the day if I use the blinker, it will make one click sound and then the light stays solid, both the front and rear light will be on but solid.

I tried each flasher that I bought in both positions and it was the same results. Should I return one of the flashers and get the other or what?
You got the wrong ones, both of those are not the "Electronic Flasher" see link below:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...ts=20&sortBy=1
Old 12-17-2015, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone tried to just series these in?
https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehi...1468&year=2000
Old 12-17-2015, 10:56 PM
Save the manuals!

So I actually did that and it did not work. However, I think I know why it isn't, it seems that my turn signals and somehow functioning directly with my DRL.
Yes, this is normal.

There are two filaments in the bulbs. The brightness of each is slightly different.

One filament is for the parking lights. It comes on 100% of the time when your headlights are on. Hence, when you use the turn signals or hazards at night, those lights become double bright when they flash because both filaments are illuminated.

The other filament is shared by your DRLs and turn signals. When your flasher goes off during the day, it signals your DRL module to pulse the lights off and on, giving you the flash. At night, the DRL module flashes the filament on and off like you'd expect.

What I mean is, if it is night time and all lights are on, then the turn signals are on as well. If it is day time and the DRLs come on for whatever reason, the turn signals come on with them. Basically, anytime the DRLs are on, the turn signals also come on.
I don't understand what you mean by this. The turn signal filament is on or the things flash?

An electronic flasher should make a proper LED bulb illuminate properly. I have a feeling those bulbs you got from the Blue Satan are probably not the right parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn Signal Issue