General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery Connectors

Old 01-04-2016, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Battery Connectors

This is probably a stupid question but it comes down to the point that Ive never had to replace one of these. The negative battery post connector's bolt is rounded to the point where I cant really secure it. Once in awhile my voltage gauge drops to the red and hangs around there for a minute or two and springs back to life and I am almost certain that this is the reason because I haven't had this issue until I had to mess with the battery. It COULD be the alternator too, but its fairly new and a Duracrap Gold - well..thats not saying much, anyway...

I'd still like to replace the connector. Is it possible to do this without replacing the whole cable? If so, how do you pull the connector part that holds the bolt head out without damaging the cable?
Old 01-04-2016, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bolt will come out if you pull it with some sort of pliers to help punch it out, shouldn't take to much effort. Any auto parts store will carry it, it's just a 3/8 bolt terminal. Check you voltage running it should be getting a steady 13.5+ volts at the battery with the engine on if the alternator is doing it's job.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The plastic cover can get in the way and cause a bad connection. Also the + side can build up crud inside the cover. The flat metal ring that holds the bolt can't be replaced without doing the whole cable, but you can clean it and replace the bolt.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Awsome, thanks. Bought two bolts for about $1.00 from WalMart and replaced both terminal connectors in about 15 minutes. Pretty easy job, and yes it did fix my problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Connectors