General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power seats won't work but rear defogger does??

Old 01-07-2016, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Power seats won't work but rear defogger does??

So I have been doing research and I know the rear defogger and the power seats are on the same circuit (30amp breaker). The circuit at the breaker has power, and I swapped out the breaker with the window breaker (which worked on the Windows) to eliminate that it wasn't the breaker. I put my test light on all six wires that come into the connector under the seat and I'm not getting anything there? This is both driver and passenger seat. Can someone please direct me where to look next! Is there another connection somewhere, and if so where is it?? Thanks for the help! This is on a 98 Trans am
Old 01-07-2016, 12:30 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You should have 12V on the orange wire and that's it. All the rest of the magic happens north of the connector. If you don't have voltage there, you have a wiring problem between the connector and the fuse panel.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
You should have 12V on the orange wire and that's it. All the rest of the magic happens north of the connector. If you don't have voltage there, you have a wiring problem between the connector and the fuse panel.

Ok well I tested all six wires on the connector and I have nothing. The car is fairly rotten, is it possible there is a connection under the carpet somewhere that maybe is corroded? I just bought the car and I am just parting the car out and wanted to make sure the seats are working, is there anyway of hooking a 12V charge to the orange wire and moving the seats? If that makes any sense? Thanks!

Last edited by Greg88; 01-07-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:07 PM
Save the manuals!

Sure. Just run a wire to the battery and ground the black wire in the connector.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:55 AM
Launching!

Also what the heck are those two tubes under the seat for? There is a connection on it.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Save the manuals!

Lumbar support air system.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem as you last year. First I used a cordless drill battery and some alligator clips and tested to make sure the power seat motor worked as it should. Then I realized moisture had gotten to the connector under the seat, corroded the orange wire going into the connector, and was not letting power get from the orange wire to the connector itself. Rather than buy a new connector I just cut it out and wire nutted everything back together. Don't judge, it's underneath the seat anyway... I had to unbolt the seat from the floor to have enough room to work though (not remove from the car, just unbolt).

Hope this helps you troubleshoot your issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power seats won't work but rear defogger does??