General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cannot find reverse light switch on '97 Camaro Auto PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot find reverse light switch on '97 Camaro Auto PLEASE HELP

I have a replacement backup light switch for my 1997 Z28 that I'm trying to replace but I cannot find the damn thing, and I don't even know if I have the right part at this point.

I bought this one: (can't find it on the shifter)

But I also saw something else called a neutral/reverse sensor or something and it looks like this:

Here are two photos of my shifter with everything exposed:

So can anyone tell me what I need to do? Either order the other part or help me find the light switch that I already have? Thank you
Old 01-20-2016, 07:39 AM
Staging Lane

Anyone?
Old 01-20-2016, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First pic is for a manual tranny, so you're not going to find that. The second one is what you have. Did you lose your reverse lights?
Old 01-21-2016, 04:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Spartan7
First pic is for a manual tranny, so you're not going to find that. The second one is what you have. Did you lose your reverse lights?
****, so I have to order the other one. Okay thanks. But yes my reverse lights don't go on anymore when the car is in reverse. I'm almost positive the sensor is what needs replacing
Old 01-21-2016, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Before you order one, make sure it's the switch and not the sockets, bulbs, harness, etc. Jump the two pins for the reverse lights on the switch connector (mine is C/brown and D/lt green) and see if they come on. Also check your fuses.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Before you order one, make sure it's the switch and not the sockets, bulbs, harness, etc. Jump the two pins for the reverse lights on the switch connector (mine is C/brown and D/lt green) and see if they come on. Also check your fuses.
Well sir, I went ahead and didn't listen to you and ordered the switch, replaced it.... and no luck. I should have listened to you lol. So here is where I'm at now:
The bulbs and fuses are fine.
Obviously it's not the reverse light switch.

So what else could it be??? I am going to put this on the back burner because technically you don't need reverse lights in Michigan but I would like to try and fix this asap.

p.s. I am only assuming it's not the bulbs because they both went out at the same time (neither of them work). and I checked all the fuses
Old 01-26-2016, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't assume anything with wiring. You may have even bought a switch that was bad out of the box (it happens). Try jumping those two pins I mentioned, that will really rule out the switch. Then start with continuity checks on the harness. The reverse lights circuit is really simple, there's only so many things it can be. Also check your grounds. The one for the reverse lights will be under the trunk carpeting near the hatch latch IIRC.

Quick Reply: Cannot find reverse light switch on '97 Camaro Auto PLEASE HELP