General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Anyone reset their fuel guage before?

Old 01-27-2016, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone reset their fuel guage before?

I've got a 1995 Z28, and like many others with a 4th gen F-body, my fuel gauge is inaccurate. When its full, the gauge shows WAY over the full mark, and when it gets to below half a tank on the gauge, I am running on fumes.

I have heard that you can "pull" and "reset" the actual dial on the fuel gauge to reset it. Has anyone ever done this before? Do I need the key on to do this right?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:07 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I've done this on my '99, but it's not a reset. The big question is "How did it get that way in the first place?"

Usually people have issues with the needles during/after gauge swaps, which is when adjusting the needle would need to be done. However; if you have an issue with your fuel level sender, moving the needle may not give you what you want or may just be a temporary band-aid. (Then, you'd need to move the needle again when you put in a new sender.)

The needle just pulls off the post and then presses back on. The only thing to watch out for is not pressing it back on too hard/far, so it doesn't bind up. All you need to do is take note of how far it's pressed on before you take it off.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:43 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the input. I've never replaced the guage cluster before, but I've had the fuel pump assembly in and out a lot. The lever still works and sends a good signal, as the guage does move accurately with the fuel amount left in the tank, it's just that it reads accurately at a different range on the fuel gauge.

Did you reset this with the ignition on or off?
Old 01-28-2016, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Fill the tank and set the needle to the full line with the key on................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .
Old 01-28-2016, 10:37 AM
Save the manuals!

Here's a question - does your check gauges light come on when you are low on fuel?
Old 01-29-2016, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 93-96 Camaro gauges are just crap in general. My 96 reads way past full when I fill it up, half tank indicated is about quarter tank actual, and it does actually go all the way to E for empty. I don't believe the check gauges light comes on like it does on my 99. The tach reads 300 rpm high, the speedometer needle moves slower than the car is actually accelerating, and the oil pressure gauge reacts slowly.

Long story short, I wouldn't worry about resetting the fuel gauge because this is pretty standard issue in my experience.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

Mine is a 95. It won't trip any light. It will just run out of gas.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MTN_Z
reads way past full when I fill it up, half tank indicated is about quarter tank actual, and it does actually go all the way to E for empty.
Manufacturers intentionally calibrate fuel gauges in this manner. It creates the illusion in Joe Consumer's mind that he's getting his money's worth on that expensive tank of fuel he recently purchased. If the gauge would report actual level in a linear fashion, there would be warranty claims that something is wrong with the engine.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:25 AM
TECH Regular

The guage itself still reads just fine and accurately. It's just that it reads accurately on a range outside what it should be. Resetting it will fix everything for me at least. Car is not going to be ready to run for about a month (it's winter here). So I'll wait a few more weeks before filling it with gas to reset it.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:25 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkee
The guage itself still reads just fine and accurately.
That can't be true if the warning light isn't coming on before you run out of gas. So, if you move the needle, you should probably still watch your mileage because performance of your gauge will likely continue to go down hill as your sender craps the rest of the way out.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wssix99
That can't be true if the warning light isn't coming on before you run out of gas. So, if you move the needle, you should probably still watch your mileage because performance of your gauge will likely continue to go down hill as your sender craps the rest of the way out.
As said before, the car is a 95. There was no warning light for this year. The sender is and has been working fine, it's just that I have had the float in and out a lot the last few years and the needle needs to be reset.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:39 PM
Save the manuals!

As said before, the car is a 95. There was no warning light for this year.
Your car has a "Check Gauges" light, which should illuminate when your fuel is low, just like the later model cars and just like every other car made since man invented fire. (I think that was sometime way back in the '70's.)

The sender is and has been working fine, it's just that I have had the float in and out a lot the last few years and the needle needs to be reset.
Did this problem develop after you worked on the float? Did you put any new parts in the tank? The gauge is a very simple device. It doesn't typically go bad, nor should it need calibration. (If a replacement sender doesn't match up to the OEM electronics, then it may need to be adjusted with resistors, etc.)
Old 02-02-2016, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

Your car has a "Check Gauges" light, which should illuminate when your fuel is low, just like the later model cars and just like every other car made since man invented fire. (I think that was sometime way back in the '70's.)

Did this problem develop after you worked on the float? Did you put any new parts in the tank? The gauge is a very simple device. It doesn't typically go bad, nor should it need calibration. (If a replacement sender doesn't match up to the OEM electronics, then it may need to be adjusted with resistors, etc.)
The "check gauges" when you are on low does not come on in my car. I know this because I have literally ran it out of fuel before.

The guage is fine, just needs to be reset. The problem happened after repeatedly taking the fuel pump assembly and float in and out multiple times.

I have looked into this a bit now. Many people have reset the guage just as I intend to and it fixes the issue.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:36 PM
Save the manuals!

The "check gauges" when you are on low does not come on in my car. I know this because I have literally ran it out of fuel before.
Even when your needle was in the right place? Do you think your bulb could be out for that light?
Old 02-03-2016, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even when your needle was in the right place? Do you think your bulb could be out for that light?
I don't think it works that way on a 93-96 cluster. My 96 is very well kept and doesn't have any other burnt bulbs in the cluster, but the light does not come on when it sits on E on the fuel gauge. The 97+ clusters do from what I've seen.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Above post is correct.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

From past experience of owning a 95 LT1 Z28 several years back, the check gauges light does not come on for low fuel. That didnt start happening until at least 97.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone reset their fuel guage before?