General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help troubleshoot 2 problems (High idle & starts on 3rd attempt)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Help troubleshoot 2 problems (High idle & starts on 3rd attempt)

99 Camaro SS T56, low 130K miles. Been down for about 5.5 years. New racetronix fuel pump with hotwire kit, cleaned fuel tank, new fuel filter, 93 octane from a top tier station, red ford injectors, stock tb (ported). NGK TR55 plugs are new, MSD wires have at most 28K miles on them, coil packs are stock, harness is stock, big 4 upgrade and new battery

1. My tuner says my Idle air control may be bad because my car dies (forgets idle floor) when you throw it in neutral as you are approaching a stop light/sign. However, if you blip the throttle after you put it in neutral, the RPMs stop falling at about 1K RPM and the car acts normally. Is there any way I can test it to be sure before I spend the money on a new part?

2. Also, this has happened to my car twice. The first and second time that you attempt to start it, it just cranks and cranks. One the third attempt, it starts. The pump primes every time. I check fuel pressure at the schrader valve on stock fuel rail and the car has fuel pressure. How much? I dont know. Whats a fuel pressure gauge with good bang for the buck ratio cost? metco mff0001 and mfp0001? https://www.nastyperformance.com/sho...chrader-valve/

any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you

Last edited by jdoyle; 02-15-2016 at 09:13 AM. Reason: updated number 1
Old 02-13-2016, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check fuel pump pressure. I had to replace my racetronix with a new one last year.

My car has had a high idle for years, I have tried everything including a new IAC and have not been able to resolve the issue. I suspect mine is a vacuum leak. If you change your HVAC settings from floor, to off, to defrost etc does the idle change at all

It should go up 150rpm if you have ac on.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

how do you check fuel pressure? throw a gauge on the end of my stock fuel rail with a tool like the one in the link below?

http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-in...ter-92699.html
Old 03-07-2016, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

the car does not want to start now.

i rented a fuel pressure gauge from o'reillys and this is the result. can anyone tell me if my fuel system is functioning as designed or not? this is my first time to use a fuel pressure gauge. my fuel system consists of the racetronix pump and harness, as well as the red ford 30 pound injectors, which i believe are like 36 pounds @ GM fuel pressure. the car is tuned and should be calibrated for the larger injectors. keyword there is should be. so just to make sure, i am seeing 20 pounds when the fuel pump primes, 60 when cranking the engine and 48 when i stop cranking the engine. I am not throwing any DTCs.

Last edited by jdoyle; 03-07-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

looks like it may have been a relay problem. i replaced the IGN relay with another and it fired right up. i put the old relay back and the problem reappeared.

NOTE: How do you even test relays AND fuses to see if they are good or not?
Old 03-21-2016, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

so i replaced the Idle air control. the problem where the car dies when you push the clutch in as you are approaching a stop sign or stop light has improved but is not eliminated. there are situations where the car acts properly, there are situations where the car wants to die but does not actually die and there are situations where the car actually dies.

is there anything else to check besides the tune? I dont have any codes on the dash.

thank you
Old 03-25-2016, 10:16 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Did the ign relay replacement correct the fuel pressure?

Should get 58 at prime, stay there after prime for a bit, and hold 55 or so at idle.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Did the ign relay replacement correct the fuel pressure?

Should get 58 at prime, stay there after prime for a bit, and hold 55 or so at idle.
even with a racetronix pump? what i was told by Lonnie at lonnies performance automotive was that because my racetronix pump is not a stock pump, i wont be getting that 55-60 PSI at fuel pump prime that is called out in the gm factory service manual. i get like 20 psi or so at first pump prime then about 50 at second pump prime then 58 or 60 psi at third pump prime. with the car running at idle, the fuel pressure is about 62 or so PSI, which I imagine is "acceptable" for an auto store rental gauge.

the ign relay replacement corrected the issue of the car not starting, but that is about it.

Quick Reply: Help troubleshoot 2 problems (High idle & starts on 3rd attempt)