General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Key not going into the lock position

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Key not going into the lock position

I just bought a 2001 Camaro SS and I'm having troubles with the key/lock cylinder. The key will not go all the way into the lock position, and the key can be removed while the car is running. The car can also be started without the key in the ignition. Do I need a new key and lock cylinder or just a new key? This is a big compromise to the safety, it could be easily stolen if i forget to lock the doors. Please help!
Old 02-22-2016, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like your lock cylinder is shot, also sounds like your VATS has already been bypassed. Your best bet would to find a used cylinder and to re-enable your VATS which would mean getting the correct resistance key for your VATS from a key vendor then getting a local locksmith to cut the key the same as the one from your new cylinder.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
Sounds like your lock cylinder is shot, also sounds like your VATS has already been bypassed. Your best bet would to find a used cylinder and to re-enable your VATS which would mean getting the correct resistance key for your VATS from a key vendor then getting a local locksmith to cut the key the same as the one from your new cylinder.
How would I re-enable my VATS? and how do I figure out what resistance is correct?? I work at a chevy dealership as a lube tech. would they be able to cut the key for me and get the right VATS chip?
Old 02-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Launching!

I wouldn't re-enable the VATS if its already bypassed if it were me. Just get a key cylinder and key combo and have them skip out on programming the VATS pellet on the key. You can even order the keys without the pill. I recently did this. If you're interested, I have a good column and key combo.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Okay I figured it all out thank you guys, I found a company that will send a precut key and cylinder with a VATS chip to match my current for $70. and I read that I have to test my key with an OHMS meter.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Morris
Okay I figured it all out thank you guys, I found a company that will send a precut key and cylinder with a VATS chip to match my current for $70. and I read that I have to test my key with an OHMS meter.
sounds like you got it figured out. If you work at a dealer they could pull up the resistance of the key without you having to check it yourself with the VIN.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Morris
The dealer can cut you a new key with the correct resistance, FYI. When I replaced my cylinder, I brought the blank and old key to them and they cut a new one with the correct pellet.

Quick Reply: Key not going into the lock position