General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Driver side window help. I have pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driver side window help. I have pics

A little off. When I roll it up it doesn't stay in line. I took the door panel off and the window dangles. Looks like a bracket needs to hang on the door but it is down in the door. I need confirmation. If this needs to be on the door how do I raise it. Everything seems solid and won't budge.
Attached Thumbnails Driver side window help. I have pics-image.jpg  
Old 03-29-2016, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm going to the junk yard when it stops raining. This is what might fix it.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I changed the bracket and it is still way off. The window caves in. Top pushes in towards the car. Anyone know the fix ?
Old 03-29-2016, 05:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Those window stabilizers don't go where you would think they do, intuitively. Here is the tutorial on window adjustment.

BTW - Someone improperly replaced your regulator back in to the door. You should look at replacing the bolts holding your regulator to the door with the proper GM-supplied door rivets so this doesn't happen to you in the future: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html

Originally Posted by johnp94
When I roll it up it doesn't stay in line.
What do you mean about this? It isn't going up level? It isn't in the correct position forward to back? It isn't in the correct position in to out?
Old 03-29-2016, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Isn't in the correct position front to back and the biggest problem is it is off in to out. Both. Because it is loose I have to use my hand as the regulator to stabilize it.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:25 PM
Save the manuals!

^ That doesn't look right. Try taking the door speaker out, so you can get your noggin inside the door with the flashlight and see what is going on. There are two things you'll want to check:
- Make sure that your regular is engaging the small horizontal track bolted to the inside of the door panel.
- Make sure the rear roller is engaged properly in the vertical track bolted to the inside rear of the door panel. That roller is attached to the frame, which is riveted to the bottom of the glass. It is also a regular issue:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...regulator.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...dow-guide.html

If these ^ aren't your issue, you can also take the other door apart and compare.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Great thanks for the help. My issue is the same as need help fix window guide. I noticed the hole but I did not know what belonged there. Mine is just missing. I will go to the junk yard and see if I can get one. If all is a pain. I'll just make the job harder and convert to manual. You helped trouble shoot. Thanks
Old 03-29-2016, 08:19 PM
Save the manuals!

Good luck on finding parts to make it a manual. (I recall they are rare.). Finding a replacement bracket and roller should be easier, but I expect your original roller is loose in the bottom of your door.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:01 AM
TECH Addict

I'm going to the junk yard when it stops raining. This is what might fix it.
the part in your second post definitely needs replaced, especially if you have tinted windows as it will scratch the crap out of them, but that isn't whats causing the window sit that far in, thats like the whole window assembly is loose in the door.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I didn't look today. But when I checked their was nothing on the bottom of the door. It could be stuck in the track. I ll get my replacement parts or swap out parts from the junk yard. If I can't figure out how to repair I'll just change the entire door to a manual one. My right rear quarter panel needs to be painted when it hit the wood pillar on my trailer. Tire blow out doing 80mph. Truck did a 360, trailer slid sideways. Change two flat tires, cut bent muffler pipe. Of course take car off trailer, trailer off truck then put it all back on. 3 hours later I was back on the road.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

One more pic
Old 03-31-2016, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

I didn't look today. But when I checked their was nothing on the bottom of the door. It could be stuck in the track. I ll get my replacement parts or swap out parts from the junk yard. If I can't figure out how to repair I'll just change the entire door to a manual one. My right rear quarter panel needs to be painted when it hit the wood pillar on my trailer. Tire blow out doing 80mph. Truck did a 360, trailer slid sideways. Change two flat tires, cut bent muffler pipe. Of course take car off trailer, trailer off truck then put it all back on. 3 hours later I was back on the road.
Dude SLOW DOWN, you're not supposed to be doing 80 when hauling a trailer.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

The rollover is stuck in the track. Their is a crack in the bracket where it used to sit. I would have never figured this out without link to the past posts. Thanks again. I won't be able to work on it until Sunday or Monday.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Their is a crack in the bracket where it used to sit.
That's common. I recall that the roller is just riveted to the bracket and that point will stress crack.

I'm glad that your trailer incident didn't end up worse! Did your van tire blow out on you before the spin, or did you have a weight problem on the trailer: https://www.trailervalet.com/blog/ho...-trailer-sway/
Old 03-31-2016, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wssix99 you gave the info I needed. Thanks. Tire blew out on the truck, driver side rear. My tow mirror was shaking for an hour before the blow out. That was my que but I didn't know if it was the road or tire. I tried to control it I finally lost control and stomped the brakes then just stear opposite of what the truck was doing. I made out lucky.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went to the salvage yard today to learn more about Windows and regulators. I removed a window but I was only able to take it off the track and remove it after I unbolted ( or remove rivets ) from regulator. Then I put it all to the bottom of the door then I was able to slide the regulator wheels out of the window track. Can I remove and install a window and track without removing the regulator from its mounted position. ?
Old 04-03-2016, 08:32 PM
Save the manuals!

I think so. You'd have to unbolt and remove the vertical track that holds the roller that broke on you. You'd also have to unbolt and remove the small horizontal track that holds the third roller on the regulator that points inward towards the car. Once you go that, the window (along the orientation of the track bolted to the bottom of the glass) should tilt in the door. Theoretically, it should pull out, but the hard part would be getting the glass out and not breaking the roller you want to preserve in the whole operation. (I've never gotten that far in any of my own personal work.)

Quick Reply: Driver side window help. I have pics