General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Burning alot of oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Burning alot of oil

I have an 01 SS with 112,000 miles and im burning about a quart every 500-750 miles! Im not sure why its burning so much. I know it burns oil through the PCV but there is no way its consuming that much from the PCV. Im not sure if i have bad valve seals or bad rings or both? My car lets out a sizable cloud from start up but doesnt smoke while its running, only under heavy throttle. Is it possible to be burning that much oil from bad valve seals? and would it burn oil under acceleration if i had bad valve seals? or do I need to think about rings? is it likely that a car with 112,000 miles could have bad rings?
Old 05-04-2016, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Valve seal is the smoke at start. How you drive the car will effect the oil burned. These thin rings need a load to seal, so waiting to shift until 3k or 4k will burn more oil. If you shift at 2 to 2.5 when just putting around it will load them better. If smoking with hard throttle and heavy load then it is likely rings.

If you have a leak down tester or can get one that can get you solid answers. If you have one or some with a good amount of leak then squirt a little oil in the cylinder and test again. If it goes away it's rings. If not is't valve seal.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Morris
I have an 01 SS with 112,000 miles and im burning about a quart every 500-750 miles! Im not sure why its burning so much. I know it burns oil through the PCV but there is no way its consuming that much from the PCV. Im not sure if i have bad valve seals or bad rings or both? My car lets out a sizable cloud from start up but doesnt smoke while its running, only under heavy throttle. Is it possible to be burning that much oil from bad valve seals? and would it burn oil under acceleration if i had bad valve seals? or do I need to think about rings? is it likely that a car with 112,000 miles could have bad rings?
Next time you go for a drive at night, get about 3-4 car lengths in front of a car. So their headlights are bright behind you.

Then....from a steady cruising speed, go WOT. If you have bad valve seals you should get a big cloud of smoke and then it will clear up and go away as you STAY on the pedal at WOT.

If you have bad ring(s) the cloud will continue always as you are on the throttle.

But also, smoke at start-up is usually a sign of bad valve seals because the oil drips down onto the spark plugs and into the cylinder as the car sits.

Could also do a Leakdown Check......and a Compression check.

Quick Reply: Burning alot of oil