General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Engine block heater removal & coolan flush dilema!

Old 05-08-2016, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Exclamation Engine block heater removal & coolan flush dilema!

Trying to do a full coolant flush & have an engine block heater plug in place of the drain plug! For the life of me I can't get it to budge without either rounding off the head or breaking something, seems like a 24mm socket fits it but can't tell if it's threaded or pressed.

I've drained everything else and the coolant is pink & clear I'm guessing dexcool! The only other coolant I can buy over here is Prestone 50/50 OAT yellow.

This is my first coolant flush by me(the only local UK GM dealer that used to do service work on it has closed down), should I just refill with the yellow or am I going to run into problems down the road, or is it possible to drain most of the coolant from the passenger side drain plug?

Name:  IMG_0738_zpstnulufh1.jpg
Views: 4745
Size:  94.4 KB

Last edited by MasterV8; 05-08-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Drain it out from the drain plug on the bottom of the radiator. Remove the t-stat and bolt the housing back on to the water pump so coolant always flows while the engine is running. Then stick a hose in the radiator and run the engine for 15-20 minutes until the water runs out the drain hole clear.

Or if you have a badass hose with high pressure...keep the radiator drain closed.....remove the lower radiator hose from the radiator port so the coolant can run out after it circulates through the engine once. It should get clean pretty fast.

Then put the t-stat back in...hook that hose back up...done.

>>>NOTE....I would buy a new drain plug before loosening the one thats on there....sometimes they break. They cost $2.00.....

Old 05-08-2016, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Already drained the radiator & expansion tank, removed t-stat.
I just wanted to know if I should find something to break that plug off with & do a full flush or just do as you said run a hose through it till it comes out clean and call it done.
I'm just worried that if I do that, then adding/mixing the new coolant with what's left in the block is going to cause problems.

I personally feel like I should persevere and try and get that plug out.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:54 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have clear water running out after flushing for 15-20 minutes with the engine running....everything is clean. No need to remove that heater plug.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine block heater removal & coolan flush dilema!