General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear sway bar bushings were the culprit (squeaking)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Default Rear sway bar bushings were the culprit (squeaking)

For those that still have their original rear sway bars and rubber bushings I'd just like to pass on some info if you have squeaking/rubbing type noises that you can easily hear at low speeds, especially going over bumps in the road. My mechanic located the irritating noises as coming from the rubber bushings. It seems like a relatively easy job for you 'do it yourselfers' and not expensive either (the AC/Delco were $25 for both).
Remove two bolts from each bracket holding the bushing and replace. You definitely need to have the car on a lift or high enough to work on as the new bushings require some strength to slip over the sway bar as it is tight (there is a slit in each bushing). My mechanic suggested no lube or grease should be used. My noises are now long gone.
** Many parts houses have the wrong size listed and the first two parts we ordered were for the front sway bar only. Make sure you specify rear when ordering so you don't have aggravation like we did.
Hope this helps someone out there, and just returning the favor for so many helpful things I have learned from this section over the years.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

This is generally what they look like (you can see the slit in them for putting over the sway bar).

Rear sway bar bushings were the culprit (squeaking)-rear-sway-bar-bushings.jpg
Old 05-10-2016, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

curious why not use lube/grease as they generally help slip on easier?
Old 05-10-2016, 09:38 AM
STA
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting ready to replace the bushings soon as well due to the same noise issues. Assuming you have the 19mm rear sway, what is the AC Delco part number for the bushings? What are the part numbers to avoid?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2016, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fst100
curious why not use lube/grease as they generally help slip on easier?
I asked that same question and he said that many lubricants will cause the rubber to prematurely break down.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by STA
I'm getting ready to replace the bushings soon as well due to the same noise issues. Assuming you have the 19mm rear sway, what is the AC Delco part number for the bushings? What are the part numbers to avoid?

Thanks
I apologize but I don't have the part numbers. I didn't think to take the box home with me and I don't have it written down anywhere. I'll post again if my receipt says anything. I haven't paid yet so I need to get it from the shop. One of those 'stop by and pay me later' relationships. I may go this afternoon.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

My receipt shows AC Delco 10224232.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

The OEM ILE bushings had the same part number molded into them as my stock Z28 bushings had. Went to 'poly' bushings. Been using the Permatex anti-seize compound/lubricant,the silvery messy stuff. Eliminated all noises from the bushings,both OEM rubber and polys.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:29 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Thanks for the post Dave. I've noticed a similar type of sound coming from the rear of my '98 in cool weather, especially when I pull in and out of a driveway or such. I assumed it was the rear lower control arm bushings, but perhaps it might be the rear sway bar bushings as well or instead. I just noticed it this year, so I haven't bothered to mess with it yet. This gives me another area to check.

BTW, non-1LE V8 models received a 19mm bar, and the 1LE cars received a 21mm rear bar. I have a set of 1LE bushings that I ordered from SLP about 15 years ago when they began offering the 1LE package which GM had dropped after '99. They don't have any part numbers stamped on them, but I'm not sure if they used GM as the supplier for this item.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:47 AM
STA
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NC01TA
My receipt shows AC Delco 10224232.
Thanks, it's been a chore trying to find the part number. I found the bushing on ebay, did it include 2 bushings or just 1?

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
The OEM ILE bushings had the same part number molded into them as my stock Z28 bushings had. Went to 'poly' bushings. Been using the Permatex anti-seize compound/lubricant,the silvery messy stuff. Eliminated all noises from the bushings,both OEM rubber and polys.
I might go with the greasable poly bushings as I heard the swaybars do not articulate like a control arm and thus poly is fine. Thanks for the Permatex suggestion, is it safe for rubber/poly?
Old 05-11-2016, 07:24 AM
TECH Junkie

STA, my AC/Delco box had two inside. I'm not sure they would sell just one.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:54 AM
On The Tree

Also the end links cause a lot of noise. If you're getting "creaking" sounds, especially going over speed bumps, this is likely your problem.

I went with Prothane end links and their bushings. Quiet as a mouse now.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:11 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by NineZeroFive
Also the end links cause a lot of noise. If you're getting "creaking" sounds, especially going over speed bumps, this is likely your problem. I went with Prothane end links and their bushings. Quiet as a mouse now.
My son's 97 had that sound terribly over speed bumps, and my 00 is starting to get it now. Nice to know what it is and easy fix - thanks!
Old 05-19-2016, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I may have to try this. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Rear sway bar bushings were the culprit (squeaking)