General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PS leak. Any way to tell if from rack or pump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default PS leak. Any way to tell if from rack or pump?

This problem must be rampant with these cars. First my 99 SS (except it turned out to be the shitty 'cooler' tube that GM stuck into a section of the radiator hose) and now my 98. My 98 doesn't have the cooler so it has to be leaking from somewhere else. Is there a way to tell if it is the pump or from the rack? It has gotten progressively worse to the point to there I am having to top the car off every week.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Poke a hole in or remove the dust cover on the inner tie rod if it has fluid in it the rack is junk
Old 06-02-2016, 07:21 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The cooler thing is a specific problem to these cars but P/S leaks, in general, are common to every make and model of car. It's a high pressure hydraulic system and the rubber Jose's and seals can only last so long. After 18 years, it's time for this to happen. Once you fix one part, the next one will start leaking relatively soon.

Do you have particular areas covered in fluid or is it everywhere? If just your rack is leaking, your pump and hoses should be dry. Although, they could both be leaking...
Old 06-02-2016, 09:44 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Whisper
This problem must be rampant with these cars. First my 99 SS (except it turned out to be the shitty 'cooler' tube that GM stuck into a section of the radiator hose) and now my 98. My 98 doesn't have the cooler so it has to be leaking from somewhere else. Is there a way to tell if it is the pump or from the rack? It has gotten progressively worse to the point to there I am having to top the car off every week.
Put the front end on ramps, then on jack stands so the tires are free to move. Start it up and have a friend turn the wheel full right/left. With a flashlight....you will find the leak.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As stated they both could be leaking. What I would do is clean them up and then put the front on jack stands and turn the wheels, and see where its leaking from.put as stated also if the pump lines are dry and just the rack is wet then it narrows it down.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Start from the top and work your way down.<br><br>Inspect the pump/reservoir/lines, and then work your way down to the rack and inspect the hard lines/fittings/inner tie rod dust boots.<br><br>I just went through this back in April and had a leaking pump/reservoir, and a tear in my inner tie rod boot.<br> Which basically made it impossible to tell exactly where everything was leaking from without replacing something to start.<br><br>Check out my How-to for replacing the rack and pinion: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...pic-heavy.html

Quick Reply: PS leak. Any way to tell if from rack or pump?