General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear main seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 07:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Rear main seal

I've got a LS3 in a F-body and I've had a slow main seal leak for awhile. I've read that this seems to be a problem on LS3's also, and that it's sometimes difficult to get the correct orientation of the replacement seal when being installed. One solution was to replace the entire rear main cover.

The rear main cover which includes the gasket & seal isn't that expensive, but with the motor in the car can you R&R the cover? I don't know if all the bolts are reachable after removing the clutch, bellhousing, etc.

If I can't replace the cover with the motor in the car, what are the correct parts & tools we need to replace the seal? Since the oil pan isn't coming off, we don't need any special Kent-Moore style tools, do we? I don't know the reason for the LS3's main seal problem, but never had the problem on my LS1's. Anything special I can do to ensure when we replace the seal that it won't leak again until I choose to replace it again?
Old 06-25-2016, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

u can remove the cover with the motor in the car. did the exact same thing in my car. LS1 though, not sure if the LS3 is any diff
Old 06-25-2016, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get the whole cover, comes with everything including the bolts. I think it runs ~$60. Doing the cover with the motor installed is not a problem.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 z28

I just bought my dream car the camaro z28 it's the LS1. Well I noticed it had a oil leak, that gets worse as I rev my engine in high rpms. So I take it to my mechanic he puts it on the lift shows me the rear main seal is leaking and kind of pushed out a little. So then he tells me the seal can wear a ring into my crank and it will never seal again without a new crank, then he goes to tell me I can be pushing to much oil pressure and pushing the seal out my oil pressure is around 35 on idle and when I rev goes to about 60. I'm getting the new seal put in this wensday but basically he is telling me if it's warn I will have to get a new crank any thoughts.? Thanks
Old 10-01-2016, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 2strokeken
I just bought my dream car the camaro z28 it's the LS1. Well I noticed it had a oil leak, that gets worse as I rev my engine in high rpms. So I take it to my mechanic he puts it on the lift shows me the rear main seal is leaking and kind of pushed out a little. So then he tells me the seal can wear a ring into my crank and it will never seal again without a new crank, then he goes to tell me I can be pushing to much oil pressure and pushing the seal out my oil pressure is around 35 on idle and when I rev goes to about 60. I'm getting the new seal put in this wensday but basically he is telling me if it's warn I will have to get a new crank any thoughts.? Thanks
I think he's over exaggerating, I mean; yeah I'm not doubting those things are possible and I was also warned that replacing my rear main seal would likely not fix the leak and it was usually bigger problems that would require rebuilds, ect.. $500 later and a new rear main seal I never had any more leaks from that area in over a year of driving it. The car is 14 - 15 years old. Seals are going to be bad at this point. Go ahead and replace it.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
I think he's over exaggerating, I mean; yeah I'm not doubting those things are possible and I was also warned that replacing my rear main seal would likely not fix the leak and it was usually bigger problems that would require rebuilds, ect.. $500 later and a new rear main seal I never had any more leaks from that area in over a year of driving it. The car is 14 - 15 years old. Seals are going to be bad at this point. Go ahead and replace it.
yea I talked to a few other mechanics they told me that I had made the crank walk a slight bit that all cranks walk some. but Before I got it , it was never driven hard so basically I was told when I replace the seal but a few knicks around the aluminum to not allow my seal to back out again . By the way I Dident mention it isent leaking it actually pushed out slightly

Quick Reply: Rear main seal