General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlight motor removal!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlight motor removal!

I have a stripped headlight gear and am trying to remove my passenger side headlight motor but I can't get off the 3rd bolt. It's the one farthest back and I've used every wrench, ratchet, and extension that I have. How have people done it? I replaced my driver's side headlight motor a while back and it wasn't this difficult...
Old 06-28-2016, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

Anyone?
Old 06-28-2016, 09:11 AM
Teching In

There are ***** to manually raise/lower the headlight. Have to tried opening or closing it some to help gain more reach? I did mine many years ago and don't recall it exactly but I swear I had to do this to get them out.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, use the **** and also soak in in kroil for a day before removing if you can.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

I do manually raise the headlight and disconnect the arm bolt from the motor. The issue I'm having is that out of the 3 bolts connecting the motor to the mounting plate, I can't get the one that's farthest back. I can touch the nuts on both ends, but can't get any sort of ratchet or wrench around them.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it helps, the entire bar holding the headlights in as a whole comes out fairly easily.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:07 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

1) Check this thread first - https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...go-here-2.html

2) When you do, the links will lead you to this - http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl....htm#FreeGuide

Before you consider a metal gear, I think you should read this - https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ght-doors.html
Old 06-29-2016, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JTtransAM
I have a stripped headlight gear and am trying to remove my passenger side headlight motor but I can't get off the 3rd bolt. It's the one farthest back and I've used every wrench, ratchet, and extension that I have. How have people done it? I replaced my driver's side headlight motor a while back and it wasn't this difficult...
I remember how much a PITA it was to get that bolt honestly. At one point I had to fiddle with the assembly for an entire day, now I can bust out and replace the motor in about 15 minutes.

What makes that bolt the easiest is 1 closed in 10mm wrench on the inside (side where the frame of the assembly doesnt allow you room to turn) and 1 wratcheting wrench 10mm - these are good for tight spaces that wont allow for a socket but still gives you the ease of a rachet. Pic of what I mean below:

Hold the 10 mm wrench still on the bolt thats closest to the inside bracket where there's no room for anything beside a wrench, and ratchet away with the wratcheting wrench on the outside head.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wait till you have to bolt it back on.....

However, there should also be an opening to the side of the bolt where you can stick a small/medium socket wrench with an extension. I used a wrench to hold the other side while tightening/ loosening the bolt.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

a few years ago when I replaced my formula bumper with a trans am bumper, I replaced both headlight motors, since one was shot anyway, I did mine when I had the bumper off , had more room to work but that last bolt was still a PITA
Old 07-03-2016, 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

strange, I don't remember having much of any trouble and that was LONG before I bought my ratcheting wrenches (which EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A SET, just and FYI), I only had a regular wrench and a socket back when I did them a few years back. Just raised the headlight manually, removed the black shroud and went in from the front, the only thing I can recall giving me trouble was the swing arm being rusted onto the gear shaft and having to find the right combination of things to pry with to pop it free.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:56 PM

New guy here everyone. I have done these motors several times. It is really easy if you do it right. Steps are;
1) Raise the headlight manually using the ****.
2) Use 10mm wrench to remove the nut holding the motor to the headlight swing arm. Yes, WD-40 and some prying to pop it off the motor.
3) Manually lower the headlight.
4) Remove the 2 headlight assembly bolts just under the painted headlight cover.
5) Unplug the electrical connector and remove the entire headlight assembly.
6) Now it will be super easy to get at the 3 bolts holding the motor. For that 3rd back bolt, when putting it back in use some electrical tape to hold the bolt to the wrench then slide in the bolt to get it started.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Last time I did it, I think I took off the rear bolt first I think b/c it moves around after the other 2 are off. But I used a rachet box wrench as above or maybe a tiny socket set, ie not full size. Tight fit but not a real issue.

Quick Reply: Headlight motor removal!