General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hard start when hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hard start when hot

There have been times after some spirited driving my Ls1 doesn't want to start. It turns over very slow. After 10-15 minutes of cool down it will start. The engine is cammed, Texas Speed CNC'd heads, and Kooks headers. Any thoughts? Is the starter getting too hot near the headers?
Old 07-08-2016, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by birdblack
There have been times after some spirited driving my Ls1 doesn't want to start. It turns over very slow. After 10-15 minutes of cool down it will start. The engine is cammed, Texas Speed CNC'd heads, and Kooks headers. Any thoughts? Is the starter getting too hot near the headers?
You have identified the most likely cause or primary contributor. Age of battery, cables/connections, and starter can affect this as well. Older components are more susceptible to heat issues. Outside possibility is that you have an injector leaking a bit of fuel and causing a light hydro-lock situation but not real likely.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably a weak starter. Could be the battery as well.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks. While the Formula is 15 years old it only has 65K miles on it. I realize age can be a factor but usage shouldn't be. In your opinion is the starter weak and need replacement or could I get a heat shielding wrap to go around the starter?
Old 07-09-2016, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks. While the Formula is 15 years old it only has 65K miles on it. I realize age can be a factor but usage shouldn't be. In your opinion is the starter weak and need replacement or could I get a heat shielding wrap to go around the starter?
Heat shield with headers is always a good idea. How old is the battery?
Old 07-10-2016, 04:05 PM
Teching In

It's actually 5-6 years old however it's always had plenty of cranking power. It's an Optima Red top. During the winter it's always on a trickle charger. Maybe it's time to replace the starter, the Red top and the get a heat shield for the new starter. With the stock compression ratio I'm thinking an OEM starter should be OK.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

I'd try battery first. At that age, I would expect the battery to struggle a bit when very hot. Even new a battery will put out less power when either very cold or very hot. Worth checking/cleaning your grounds as well.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like the starter.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:43 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It's actually 5-6 years old however it's always had plenty of cranking power. It's an Optima Red top. During the winter it's always on a trickle charger. Maybe it's time to replace the starter, the Red top and the get a heat shield for the new starter. With the stock compression ratio I'm thinking an OEM starter should be OK.
Hot engines are harder to start than a cold engine. You most likely have a battery thats failing. Go have it checked before you buy a new starter.

And when a starter gets hot from radiant heat off the headerers...they usually will not even spin at all till they cool off. The heat doesn't just make them weak...they disable them completely while they are hot.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:51 AM
TECH Resident

In my 20+ years of stock car racing experience, its the starter. We always have hard start, slow cranking conditions after a race due to the starter being hot and the amount of ignition advance we run. We replaced the weak starter with a good high torque unit and problem solved. Our cars get a new optima battery almost every year.

You can have the battery tested but they need to use a high load on it to duplicate a hot engine.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not to hijack the thread but my engine is still stock and my car is difficult to start usually in the summer months. This issue has been going on for the last few years. First two or even three start ups during the day will work. Third or fourth and it will either crank for a while and start up or I give up, wait a second or two, try again and it will start up fine.

I did suspect the battery but I had it tested when I let it die during my suspension overhaul. I suspect either the starter or fuel pump but am leaning more towards the starter since the fuel pumps sounds like it is priming fine during start up and operates fine when the car is running. Or is there something else I need to look at?
Old 07-11-2016, 10:43 AM
Launching!

I had this problem. Early on it was annoying but after a while I had to let the car sit there and cool off a lot to be able to start it. Replaced the starter (PITA with headers) and issue went away completely.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Cypher
Not to hijack the thread but my engine is still stock and my car is difficult to start usually in the summer months. This issue has been going on for the last few years. First two or even three start ups during the day will work. Third or fourth and it will either crank for a while and start up or I give up, wait a second or two, try again and it will start up fine.

I did suspect the battery but I had it tested when I let it die during my suspension overhaul. I suspect either the starter or fuel pump but am leaning more towards the starter since the fuel pumps sounds like it is priming fine during start up and operates fine when the car is running. Or is there something else I need to look at?
Does your engine crank slow, or does it not fire up immediately...?

There is a difference... the first one is what is happening to to op.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds likes it is cranking at the same speed, it just doesn't want to fire up until the second time.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Darth Cypher
Sounds likes it is cranking at the same speed, it just doesn't want to fire up until the second time.
Try cycling key on for a few seconds/off/on again/off/on, and then start. This may Band-Aid a fuel-related issue and give you a direction.

Quick Reply: Hard start when hot