General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

key lock cylinders..

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key lock cylinders..

Having issues with getting key lock cylinder working properly in regards to hitting the spots like it did before the new ignition switch ..2 questions actually. Was told that the key was one spothat too far. .I can't figure out how to get it turn without it being in the steering column. ....how do you do that? Just curious about the gears on the lock cylinder as far as should they move freely? What should they look llike?
Old 07-08-2016, 05:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I am not sure what you are asking because your post seems to be missing some key pronouns and adjectives.

You will probably find this document useful, though. It may also answer your questions. (Aside from some additional electronics for the airbag, our steering column is nearly identical to this.) http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf
Old 07-08-2016, 05:30 PM

That's what I get for being in a rush and not proof reading. . Specifically, I put the new ignition switch in and started the process of putting everything where it's supposed to.
Put the key lock cylinder in and noticed it wouldn't go bsck far enough to be in Off or acc position either. Was told by a mechanic
..supposedly. .lolol. that it's possible tocorrect by turning it back a spot so it will line up
Old 07-08-2016, 05:34 PM

with the gears on the new switch. Curious about things to look for to let you know if the key locker cyclinder is good shape it on the verge of being junk..sorry for the crazy stuff in the 1 post .thanks for the link
Old 07-08-2016, 06:49 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

^ Right. There is an indent and cam on the end of the cylinder that needs to properly match up with the innards for the cylinder to go in. With the key in the cylinder, you should be able turn and manipulate the unit so it will go in.

The document I posted has really good cut-away pictures so you can see what you are dealing with inside the column.

Quick Reply: key lock cylinders..