General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Burning smell after WOT.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Burning smell after WOT.

Really didn't know where to post the question except here.

After WOT pulls I smell a smell that smells just like a burning clutch, only problem is I have a Monster LT1-R which is an iron sintered clutch and it doesn't smell when it slips according to Steve at SNL so now I'm lost on this. I've checked everything and don't see anything really out of the ordinary except I do have a small power steering leak.

I did just replace my pads and rotors with some Hawk HPS 5.0 and I'm thinking it might be that I am smelling when I slowing down from a pull? Car has a 408 with a 80mm turbo on 16ish pounds making 850 at the wheels.

Anyone ever experience anything like this?
Old 08-05-2016, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You will absolutely get a burning smell from those pads if you've been driving at street temps and then do several hard stops from high speed.....that's perfectly normal.

Smells different than heat in the clutch, however it's obviously a heat-related scent. I track my car regularly with aggressive compound pads and get plenty of this in the first session of the day. My understanding is it's not a problem as long as the compound you're running can handle the temps.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I have been all over the car and can't find anything that would make a smell like that so it has to be brakes since my clutch is iron.

Quick Reply: Burning smell after WOT.