General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fixed my surge at idle when the car is cold

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Fixed my surge at idle when the car is cold

Not enough people come back to report how they fixed an issue. I never posted the issue here but searching the forums gave me no solutions.

SO...here it is...

The issue: Car surges at idle for a minute or two until the car is warmed up. Surging gets so bad that in gear the car can stall. Car is a 6 speed and runs a catch can. Car also spits out a bit of blue smoke when it is surging.

The cause: pulled the throttle body off and found the intake was caked with oil inside despite having a catch can. I think I might have been negligent in emptying the catch can once during an oil change.

Solution: Removed the intake and cleaned out the TB, the intake ports on the heads, and the intake itself with Brake Cleaner. The IAC motor seemed a bit dirty but not too bad.

Put it back together and fired up on half a key like a champ. Odd thing is I'm also seeing more volts from my alternator. 14.4 instead of 13.3. It's never been that high. Weird.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
Not enough people come back to report how they fixed an issue. I never posted the issue here but searching the forums gave me no solutions.

SO...here it is...

The issue: Car surges at idle for a minute or two until the car is warmed up. Surging gets so bad that in gear the car can stall. Car is a 6 speed and runs a catch can. Car also spits out a bit of blue smoke when it is surging.

The cause: pulled the throttle body off and found the intake was caked with oil inside despite having a catch can. I think I might have been negligent in emptying the catch can once during an oil change.

Solution: Removed the intake and cleaned out the TB, the intake ports on the heads, and the intake itself with Brake Cleaner. The IAC motor seemed a bit dirty but not too bad.

Put it back together and fired up on half a key like a champ. Odd thing is I'm also seeing more volts from my alternator. 14.4 instead of 13.3. It's never been that high. Weird.

Normal charging rate is 13.8v-14.2v, but our gauges are not that accurate to start with.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
Normal charging rate is 13.8v-14.2v, but our gauges are not that accurate to start with.
I use a scangauge II.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Unfortunately the intake gunks up quickly,I would change to a good diesel oil. Since I started using Delo 400XLE my intake stays clean and I no longer have pinging at light throttle.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:20 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
Thanks for posting back!

Could an alternate solution also be to ditch the catch can and go back to a PCV valve?

Quick Reply: Fixed my surge at idle when the car is cold