General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Truck Alternator vs Powermaster

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Truck Alternator vs Powermaster

We're talking a 5 amp difference and I'm about to do the Big 3 Upgrade so I dont think performance is an issue. What I'm concerned about is reliability as I want this to be the last alternator I put on this car for the next 2 years. The duracraps have lasted not even a few months and I've eaten up about 5 of them in the course of a year.

I hear that the truck alternator is physically larger than the stock alternator but still will fit in the brackets but it will be a tight fit. Any truth to that? Will a larger alternator have any chance of lasting longer in a car? Or should I just go with Powermaster?
Old 08-30-2016, 01:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Are you comparing a new Powermaster to:

- A duracrap truck unit?

- An OEM reman (meaning GM) truck unit?

- A used truck unit with unknown mileage?
Old 08-30-2016, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Are you comparing a new Powermaster to:

- A duracrap truck unit?

- An OEM reman (meaning GM) truck unit?

- A used truck unit with unknown mileage?
I was thinking AC Delco / GM or maybe something from NAPA...
I wasn't aware that even the AC Delco / GM units are all just reman now...

DEFINITELY staying away from duracrap
Old 08-30-2016, 10:01 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Full disclosure: I don't own a Powermaster but would recommend going that route because:

- I've had just about every other brand die on me
- I've had to remove the alternator for tons of stuff not related to electrical (power steering repairs, full coolant flushes from the block, <some other reason that is escaping me at the moment>

I can't imagine the extra hell I would have had to go through dealing with a larger form factor. ^ It's bad enough as-is, especially without access to a lift.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

I just put in a 145 amp kg3 truck alternator last weekend and there were no fitment issues at all. Nice crisp lights, no dimming at idle.

$80 at the junk yard.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:41 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Full disclosure: I don't own a Powermaster but would recommend going that route because:
I agree. I don't trust used alternators unless I was the one who used it last. But a nice, used OEM piece is usually better than the typical chain auto parts store rebuilds.

On the other hand, I can't speak highly enough of my experiences with Powermaster products. I don't currently have one of their units on my LS1, but I have one of their 10SI units on my '71 and I couldn't be happier. Even installed in a one-wire configuration (which is supposedly inferior to the factory 3-wire setup of that era - something I agree with in theory, but it has proven to be a non-issue for this unit) it keeps up just fine with the increased electrical demands of my application and has given me many years of flawless operation.

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
I wasn't aware that even the AC Delco / GM units are all just reman now...
That's been the case for quite a while. I can't speak on their current quality as I haven't bought one in quite a while, but previously they were very good and my go-to option. Now that Powermaster builds units for LS1s, that's the way I would personally go.

Quick Reply: Truck Alternator vs Powermaster