General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Stumble when warm when taking off

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumble when warm when taking off

I have an 04 gto with , in short, Cam headers exhaust . About a month ago I've been havinf a stumble from takeoff to around 2400rpms when warm after starting the car and taking off. It idles fine. It will clear up after 10 seconds or so and be fine until next time i shut it off and take off again after starting. Fuel pressure is 60psi at idle with no dropping. Plugs , wires, maf, all checked out fine. No visible vacuum leaks. Im at a loss to what to try next . please give me some suggestions. Stock plug wires with tr6 plugs. Ive had the plugs in months prior to this happening .
Old 08-31-2016, 07:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Let me guess at something. Do you have a K&N or other oiled air filter?
Old 08-31-2016, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea its an AEM BruteForce. Its been on here almost 2 years .
Old 08-31-2016, 04:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Dan B
That air filter has shed oil onto your MAF and fouled it. As a result, it can't sense all the air that is flowing through the engine and even though you are hitting the gas, the PCM is cutting fuel flow because it doesn't think there is enough air flow to the engine.

If you get some MAF cleaner from the auto parts store, that should clear things up. Some of us have had to disassemble the MAF and clean the elements directly with a Q-Tip, but that is more extreme than most people need to do - it's also risky because the MAF elements are very fragile and the operation could ruin the sensor. (Be sure to get purpose-made MAF cleaner so it doesn't damage the plastic in the sensor.)

Once you have your MAF clean, you can improve things down the road by tossing your current air filter and going back to paper.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:30 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

good call. and if that doesn't work you can perform a tune-up (filters and plugs), and pressure test the intake plumbing.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:42 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Dan B
Have you tried anything? Just checking in to make sure you are OK. When this happened to me, I was very upset. It was not good - I went through three full stages of denial and everything.

Quick Reply: Stumble when warm when taking off