General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

bad mass air ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default bad mass air ?

ok my 2001 WS6 HCI car is having some issue i am not sure what is going on.

when driving the car at hwy speeds light throttle usually a few minutes into the initial drive the car starts bucking HARD like its dropping cylinders or like the brakes are being applied hard the car stumbles and bucks then it seems to go away. Now when its doing this the temp Gage goes dead and flutters back and forth while the car is doing this...
There is NO SES light when this is happening...the car had 115k on it...

car only seems to do this on the hwy

any suggestions
Old 09-01-2016, 08:14 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Couple of thoughts:

Bad coolant sensor. When pegging, it will cut fuel. Before blaming the sensor, maybe as a disaster check verify you're not exceedingly low on coolant.

Second, it could indicate a loss of 12v, bad ground, or short in the column itself, so the car literally cuts off and on. If only the temp gauge is affected, it's probably not this, but if you notice the volt meter fluttering too and the oil pressure gauge, that to me would indicate loose connections or badly eroded wire insulation.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:18 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

^ My thoughts are the same. I recall that some people have had partial gauge failure with intermittent electrical issues.

With that bucking, I'd expect some codes to be thrown with freeze frame data captured. (Even if the problem isn't enough to trigger an SES light.). Have you scanned for codes, yet?

Quick Reply: bad mass air ?