General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

P0446 Code

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0446 Code

So my car threw an SES code yesterday and it was P0446. The code itself has something to do with the Evaporative Emmission Control System Vent Control Circuit. I've read that most of the time it's usually a bad or clogged vent valve. How do I remove and check the vent valve? (Sorry I'm not mechanically inclined) And how serious is the P0446 code?

The second pending code on my car is the same as the first code
Old 09-12-2016, 09:35 AM
Lup
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just replace the Vent. Proper way to test is to use a GM Tech 2 scan tool and command the vent on and off to make sure power is there at the vent. You can also check the vent for continuity with a electrical meter (Ohms). Is the Vent reads open, or OL, its bad
The cost to have a shop diagnosis is going to be way more than just putting a new $20 vent on. Chances are, the vent is bad.

Kyle
Old 09-12-2016, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lup
I would just replace the Vent. Proper way to test is to use a GM Tech 2 scan tool and command the vent on and off to make sure power is there at the vent. You can also check the vent for continuity with a electrical meter (Ohms). Is the Vent reads open, or OL, its bad
The cost to have a shop diagnosis is going to be way more than just putting a new $20 vent on. Chances are, the vent is bad.

Kyle

I had a closer look at my gas cap and turns out the rubber seals on the cap were cracked. I replaced the cap and cleared the code, but if it comes back on I'll definitely check out the vent. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2016, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0446
this code is pointing to the vent solenoid itself being electrically bad, so you would need to replace it, it's unlikely the gas cap replacement will be the solution.
but it's not serious, there will be no performance or gas mileage loss.
biggest problem if you have state emissions you will fail when that or any other emissions related code is present.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0446
this code is pointing to the vent solenoid itself being electrically bad, so you would need to replace it, it's unlikely the gas cap replacement will be the solution.
but it's not serious, there will be no performance or gas mileage loss.
biggest problem if you have state emissions you will fail when that or any other emissions related code is present.
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ad=47584901292

This is the vent solenoid right? The code came back recently...
Old 09-17-2016, 06:17 AM
Lup
Staging Lane

It looks like correct part but, Dormans web site shows 911-075 and so does rockauto.
The partsgeek might be correct but list THEIR part number for it and not dorman's.

I also advise you too look up the replace procedure for the vent, You might need to drop the gas tank to replace the vent

Last edited by Lup; 09-17-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lup
It looks like correct part but, Dormans web site shows 911-075 and so does rockauto.
The partsgeek might be correct but list THEIR part number for it and not dorman's.

I also advise you too look up the replace procedure for the vent, You might need to drop the gas tank to replace the vent
I searched up for a write up online on how to do exactly that, but so far I haven't found anything. It seems like this might be an uncommon issue
Old 09-18-2016, 08:58 AM
Lup
Staging Lane

If someone on here was nice enough to give me a 4th Gen free of charge, I'd be more than happy to make a "how to" video for you.

Recently someone on here said they had to drop the tank to replace the vent. I have not replaced a vent on a 4th gen, so I'm not sure either
Old 09-21-2016, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I called my mechanic and he had to drop the gas tank to find the culprit. Thanks everyone, you guys really helped

Quick Reply: P0446 Code