General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Sluggish windows and door locks

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sluggish windows and door locks

I know the 4th gen windows are slow but mine are now at an annoyingly slow speed now. They also will just stop working midway through use then just start working again. Also my door locks don't seem to want to work as well as they once did. Sometimes I have to stand right at my car in order for the key bob to work (yes I have replaced the batteries; several times).

Would this be a BCM issue by chance? What all should I start looking into in order to fix/help speed things back up?
Old 09-13-2016, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

4th gen window motors are slow and usually have to be replaced from time to time. Not sure about the door locks?
Old 09-17-2016, 04:00 PM
Lup
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the key fob needs taken apart and contacts clean. I'm going to guess the window motors are worn out.

Clean the key fob and see if it improves

Kyle
Old 09-17-2016, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Window slowness is probably due to carbon build-up on switch contacts (due to arcing). The passenger window especially, since it draws power through its own switch and also through the driver side switch (poor design). The carbon means there's a voltage drop (like a resistor), so the motor slows down and heats up, bad. Don't know about the door locks.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by patSS/00
Window slowness is probably due to carbon build-up on switch contacts (due to arcing). The passenger window especially, since it draws power through its own switch and also through the driver side switch (poor design). The carbon means there's a voltage drop (like a resistor), so the motor slows down and heats up, bad. Don't know about the door locks.
So I should be able to pull the switches apart and clean them and clean the connectors at the motor. I'll see if this solves the problem before replacing the motors as I have replaced the passenger side a few years ago.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:46 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSS2001
So I should be able to pull the switches apart and clean them and clean the connectors at the motor. I'll see if this solves the problem before replacing the motors as I have replaced the passenger side a few years ago.
No. The switches are disposable. I've never heard of anyone getting increased performance from replacing the switches. If this were really the case, then the driver's side window would always be faster.

The stock design window motors were originally put in GM cars in the late 1960's. They stayed in the parts bin for decades and somehow made their way in to the 4th gen F-body when it was designed in the late 1980's/early 1990's. We got the shaft: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...hs-truths.html

There are two notorious problems with the motor:
- The thermal cutoff switch (used to shut power to the motor when the glass is all the way up/down) will burn out and lead to the motor per-maturely cutting out as it moves. Sometimes the motor will completely die without warning due to this.
- The motors are poorly sealed against water and contaminants getting in. This leads to rust and other badness in the motor that slows it down to an eventual death.

Autozone released a new design for the motor a few years back, which was subsequently taken over by Dorman. Unfortunately, it appears that Dorman when back to the OEM design and the improved design is currently MIA from the market. We are still looking for when/where it will reappear. It was much better! I haven't hears of the updated design failing yet and they have been working in my car perfectly (and quickly) for over seven years now.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you don't want to spend money on new / reman window motors, and aren't worried about pinched fingers, you can try this fix: "How to permanently repair your window motors (With Pics!)".

Last edited by komik; 09-30-2016 at 07:55 PM. Reason: link
Old 10-03-2016, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
No. The switches are disposable. I've never heard of anyone getting increased performance from replacing the switches. If this were really the case, then the driver's side window would always be faster.

The stock design window motors were originally put in GM cars in the late 1960's. They stayed in the parts bin for decades and somehow made their way in to the 4th gen F-body when it was designed in the late 1980's/early 1990's. We got the shaft: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...hs-truths.html

There are two notorious problems with the motor:
- The thermal cutoff switch (used to shut power to the motor when the glass is all the way up/down) will burn out and lead to the motor per-maturely cutting out as it moves. Sometimes the motor will completely die without warning due to this.
- The motors are poorly sealed against water and contaminants getting in. This leads to rust and other badness in the motor that slows it down to an eventual death.

Autozone released a new design for the motor a few years back, which was subsequently taken over by Dorman. Unfortunately, it appears that Dorman when back to the OEM design and the improved design is currently MIA from the market. We are still looking for when/where it will reappear. It was much better! I haven't hears of the updated design failing yet and they have been working in my car perfectly (and quickly) for over seven years now.
So the Dorman (old style) is what you have in your car?
Old 10-03-2016, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

There is actually a kit that allegedly solves the problem, which stems from lack of power in general to the passenger side door. It is mentioned in the thread that komik posted.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
There is actually a kit that allegedly solves the problem, which stems from lack of power in general to the passenger side door. It is mentioned in the thread that komik posted.
This is not true and one of the worst internet rumors/viruses we have spreading on this site. The makers of said kit do t even make this outlandish claim: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...hs-truths.html
Old 10-03-2016, 07:09 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by BlackSS2001
So the Dorman (old style) is what you have in your car?
Yes. I had a little panic attack the other day when one window stopped working. It turned out to be just a melted switch. I put a new switch in and the windows are still good-as-new.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found that by cleaning up the ground bolt under the hood it seemed to help with the widows also.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes. I had a little panic attack the other day when one window stopped working. It turned out to be just a melted switch. I put a new switch in and the windows are still good-as-new.
So it sounds like I'll probably have to buy new motors and hope they last a few years. I've been noticing a lot of electrical bugs coming up on my car lately. Had to replace my crankshaft position sensor and the cam sensor now my ABS is messing up due to the sensor on the rear diff. Windows getting worse and worse and the key fob hardly working. Guess she's just getting old...
Old 10-05-2016, 03:15 PM
Save the manuals!

If you subscribe to the thread linked above, we'll update it when we catch wind of the new motors being back.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

This is not true and one of the worst internet rumors/viruses we have spreading on this site. The makers of said kit do t even make this outlandish claim: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...hs-truths.html
Allright, my bad. I just came across it a couple of weeks ago, a post advertising the kit I believe. Made sense.

Does it HELP though? If it reduces the voltage drop on a wimpy motor...... I dunno. Seems reasonable.

The previous owner of my car had the pass motor changed. Car had no fng miles on, how does it go bad with just time?
Old 10-05-2016, 05:12 PM
Save the manuals!

Allright, my bad. I just came across it a couple of weeks ago, a post advertising the kit I believe. Made sense.

Does it HELP though? If it reduces the voltage drop on a wimpy motor...... I dunno. Seems reasonable.
It helps by making a bad motor look good or better.

IMO - The expense of this kit is not worth it compared to the ease at changing out a motor once the initial shbox method has been followed to do an initial change-out. You can get a lifetime warranty on the replacement motor and all others after that will go in/out in 20 minutes. The additional complexity and wiring of the kit is just one more thing to keep track of that could break.

Car had no fng miles on, how does it go bad with just time?
Rust. Inside the motor itself and on the thermal resistor. Even a garage-kept car will get some water in there. (The inside of the door is a wet environment and the motor bathes in rain fall and salt.)

I forget where I saw the pictures, but someone took a bad motor apart a while back and it was nasty.

Quick Reply: Sluggish windows and door locks