General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

H/C/I 98 Z refuses to idle at a stop on first start.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default H/C/I 98 Z refuses to idle at a stop on first start.

So I have a M6 98 Z28 with some MMS 220 heads, a moderate after market cam, FAST 92mm intake, etc. Back in April I had the car speed density retuned for the Fast intake install. The prior setup was identical except an LS^ intake instead of the Fast. The car idled and drove fine for a month or two but now every morning, the car wants to die at every stop. The odd thing is that it isn't immediate. Backing out of my driveway and the first two stop signs, the car is fine- maybe the occasional stumble. But like clock work by the third stop and for the entire 2 miles to work, the car is dying at every stop unless I feather the throttle. The clutch seems to act as an off switch because usually the instant I press it, the car instantly dies.

After the car has died on me 5 to 6 times on the way to work, I sometimes have to leave 30 minutes to an hour to drive to another facility. 9/10 times, the car is fine at this point and runs normally. Its literally as if the car is sensitive to certain locations and likes to **** me off by always dying at them. On the drive home, the car is usually fine as well. Its always the first run of the day that is a pain in the ***.

I know SD tunes are sensitive to weather changes but I thought this was usually cold weather and the car didn't really start acting up until it got extremely hot. Any ideas? There are so many variables with a heavily modded car though that I may be better off asking in Internal Engine.

Quick Reply: H/C/I 98 Z refuses to idle at a stop on first start.