General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

knock at idle, annoyed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default knock at idle, annoyed!

My 2000 sierra 6.0 has 187,550 miles on it. It's currently knocking at idle, warm and cold. If it sits for a week it doesn't do it. Under normal throttle it doesn't do it and seems to drive fine. It does need a water pump replaced. I don't understand if it's piston slap or a rod or main bearing, it goes away when driving though. I thought rod or main bearings you'd be able to hear even when revved up, or a vibration? Has a pulley ever been known to cause a knocking noise? The other thing I was thinking is maybe my tune? It's stock with a westers 89 octane tune, I don't understand how that could cause knick at idle and not under a load though.

I bought a 5.3 to go in but part of me thinks maybe the 6.0 is fine and it's something else not internal. No idea if people get piston slap when warm either.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

sticking lifter?? oil passage blocked up?
Old 09-15-2016, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Possibly. No idea if it's causing damage or not.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I only get piston slap in my truck when cold, goes away after about a minute. Check your exhaust manifold bolts. I had a couple snapped on the driver side, gave me an intermittent knocking sound that almost sounded like rod knock.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan7
I only get piston slap in my truck when cold, goes away after about a minute. Check your exhaust manifold bolts. I had a couple snapped on the driver side, gave me an intermittent knocking sound that almost sounded like rod knock.
My 2007 cts-v has a knocking coming from the driver side of the engine. It also has an exhaust manifold leak. The Knocking quiets down a lot once the car is fully warmed up and I’ve been driving for about 15 mins but the noise is still there it’s just slight though. Is that similar to what you were dealing with. Please let me know before I have the engine completely rebuilt. It does have 220K miles and I know it’s probably best to just have it rebuilt but I honestly can’t afford that at the moment. Any help or info would be highly appreciated.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

I did the b12 chemtool process because its a rusty pos truck. Thing was quiet for a long time and still isnt as bad as it originally was.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Piston slap doesn't go away after a minute..............

Old 09-29-2018, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check your flywheel bolts, might be loose
Old 09-30-2018, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Piston slap doesn't go away after a minute..............
Are you trolling or something? There are quite a few GM TSB's that mention the problem of cold start knock, or piston slap, especially for the 99-02 trucks. It's been documented by tons of owners over many years.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We can all take shots in the dark here but until you post a good video showing the sound from multiple points in, around and underneath, no one here is going to be able to actually help you.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Are you trolling or something? There are quite a few GM TSB's that mention the problem of cold start knock, or piston slap, especially for the 99-02 trucks. It's been documented by tons of owners over many years.
No not trolling just saying that TSB is complete BS............. real piston slap doesn't go away. GM is bullsheeting its buyers into accepting something else other than whats really going on. If you had loose slapping pistons the engine would be noisy all the time. Cold piston noise is normal in any engine, but its not slap or knock. If its knocking it something other than the pistons. Argue all you want, was just pointing out real piston slap doesn't go away.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Right, I'll just take your word for it then. We'll just ignore GM because they lie, because you said so, not to mention that piston slap when cold is well understood and not unique to GM vehicles.

Quick Reply: knock at idle, annoyed!