General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ls1 oil filter cut open

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 oil filter cut open

Hey guys just thought id share some good info about common filters for our engines. Ive always done research to see which filter is better than another. But the only way to really draw your own conclusion is to dissect the filters yourself. I used to use Fram filters after my father but soon realized these filters are just trash. I switched to Bosch and was pretty happy with it. But I knew it wasn't the best filter I could buy. The last filter I have used is a K&N hp-1007. I didn't want to get into the hype over them but soon found out they're actually really well made filters. Well after my last oil change I found there could be a better filter for cheaper. The napa platinum 41042. I already put another K&N on my car but I wanted to know how much better or worse the napa was. I still had my K&N laying around so I went and bought the platinum from napa and cut it open. Here is what I found:

The inlet holes are much bigger on the napa than the k&n

The media on the napa is a synthetic media but does not have near as many pleates as the k&n

I do not like how small the inlet holes are on the K&N. However the end cap is much heavier than that of the napa.

The K&N uses a resin-impregnated filter media. Theres plenty of pleates and after about 3k miles all of them are completely straight. The ooze of glue doesn't concern me much as it is thick and poses no risk of flaking off and getting into the engine.

Notice the amount of room around the napa. That looks horrible for flow. Compared to the k&n which looks like plenty of room for oil to flow freely.

Also note the can thickness. The K&N is thicker than the napa. Thicker material = higher burst pressure.

I like aspects of both filters. I only wish the K&N used bigger inlet holes on the end cap like the napa does. The napa looks to restrictive for me considering how little room there is between the filter media and the can. Post what you think and what filter you use!
Old 09-21-2016, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-examined.html
Old 09-26-2016, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Napa = wix

Just thought I'd mention, for those who care, that WIX makes the napa filter. The manager at Napa explained that if you drop the first digit in the WIX part # you end up with a Napa part #. Example WIX 51042 is a Napa 1042.

Quick Reply: Ls1 oil filter cut open