General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rack & Pinion Boot Tore - Fluid Leaking Out

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Rack & Pinion Boot Tore - Fluid Leaking Out

Taking my front lower control arms off last night, made a newbie mistake. Trying to get the front bolt out, I failed to turn the steering wheel and tore my rack and pinion boot. I believe these are dust boots, yet mine started leaking fluid out of the tear.

I'm guessing a bad seal? Is it worth getting a rebuild kit or would a better (maybe easier option) to get a rebuilt rack and pinion? How hard is either to do?

Thanks for any guidance!
Old 10-07-2016, 02:25 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Many a member here has had a horror story to tell after purchasing a reman rack. If you can spare the time, I'd recommend sending yours out to TurnOne for a rebuild. You'll be sending a known good core to a reputable builder (in your local country!) to have it put back together.

They did a stock rebuild on my pump and it was (and still is) a great experience.

I suppose you could do it yourself. If I were to do it myself, I'd be worried that I'd miss some little thing (due to my lack of experience) and have to go through the PITA of removing and reinstalling the rack a second time.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
Many a member here has had a horror story to tell after purchasing a reman rack. If you can spare the time, I'd recommend sending yours out to TurnOne for a rebuild. You'll be sending a known good core to a reputable builder (in your local country!) to have it put back together.

They did a stock rebuild on my pump and it was (and still is) a great experience.

I suppose you could do it yourself. If I were to do it myself, I'd be worried that I'd miss some little thing (due to my lack of experience) and have to go through the PITA of removing and reinstalling the rack a second time.
Thanks for the quick reply! I wouldn't mind at all to send it off to get rebuilt, but it's my daily driver so unfortantely I won't have that luxury. I have the bike to ride, but I hate to rely on it for an extended period of time.

I'm totally with you on rebuilding myself, I can see me missing some little thing and having to pull it out again. I've seen there's 2 different versions of it, so when I get home today I'll go see which one I have and get something on order ASAP. Blessing in disguise I suppose, now is the time to do it since rebuilding all suspension and will need alignment anyways!
Old 10-07-2016, 04:51 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
but it's my daily driver
Not right now, it's not! TurnOne is great in that they can turn rebuilds around the same week (if you can hold off that long) and you can do express shipping, but... I would think that could get really pricey with a rack.

If you can't send it away and if your rack is original and if you plan on keeping the car a long time, I wouldn't loose the core. I'd either get another unit and keep the known core for a proper future rebuild or try the self-rebuild on it.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry for the delay, lots of fighting and cussing over the weekend for the rebuild, lol.

I ended up finding a store that actually had one in stock (remanufactered) so I picked it up. I pulled my old one out before going up there since it was 30min away, figured may as well get my core money back. Installing it wasn't too bad, by far the worse part was cutting that one bolt off so I could get it out.

Everything is all buttoned up and back together, just need to let the suspension settle and get an alignment, it's WAY off! Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Rack & Pinion Boot Tore - Fluid Leaking Out