General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rear end noise and lean to the right

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end noise and lean to the right

Greetings from Ukraine, men.
Got a 2001 base Firebird.
Did some search on the forum though still need some help.

1) Ok I know there are hundreds of treads about body lean and I've read all of em! but maybe some fresh ideas?
From the very first minute I have a lean to the right especially pronounced when standing behind the car. It's up to 1 full inch difference in spaces between tire and arches, though sometimes it is smaller, but I've never seen body leveled or leaned to the left. Front is a bit better but still up to 1\2 inch lean too. Maybe that's the reason why I was trying to deal with it from the rear end and did nothing at front yet. I swapped springs left-to-right, I installed the other set of springs, I changed three sets of shocks. Now I have Founders LCA and adjustable Panhard rod with poly. I had to shorten the panhard to the dead end, I wish I had 1\4 inch more since the axle is still positioned a bit to the left but that might be because of the body lean to the right that WASN'T GONE, so there is no help from my actions to conquer the body lean for now. I have new sway bar links though bushings to body are not new, but there is no evidence they are faulty. The only thing on my mind is a panhard bar attachment rail that is bolted to the body but I don't know if it could affect on body lean. I attached an image, that's a two years ago status though almost nothing changed till now, please don't pay attention to ground clearance since I had wrong tires installed then. You can see the upper edge of the trunk is not parallel to the roof line.
Please suggest something. Should I throw my attention to the front? I almost give up and about to put something under the right spring.

2) Other problem I faced this summer. Right after I was out of the car shop I started to hear clunks from the rear. Here is the list what I changed on the lifter that day:
new AT trans mount
new poly LCA and panhard rod
adjusted panhard rod to center the axle
changed the rear axle bearings and seals
changed one c-clip
used new 75W-90 oil in the rear end
I also changed the rear rotors and pads on previous visit to shop, but there was no issues after that.

Now clunks are heard only when I gently start the movement on drive or reverse and when I'm rolling or coasting at low speeds like decelerating and launching on the traffic light. It is multiple clunks or knocks, sounds like hammering on hollow plastic (gas tank?) or car body from underneath. Sometimes it is a single knock, maybe like the rubber is tearing against the other rubber thing and hopping against each other. Sometimes when I lift of the accelerator below 50 mph it is hammering like the wheel is unbolted. Maybe these are two different issues.
I was under car since then, I unbolted and retightened shocks, LCA and panhard, I changed the sway bar links, I inspected and reinstalled brakes, I rocked anything I could think of but I can't replicate the sound.

The most strange thing about it all that there is no problems on bumps on the road, no sounds when I rock the rear end with my hands up-down or side-to-side, what make me think the suspension is not the reason. By the way, the knock when launching is not about gears play in differential (yes my diff is worn out a bit). I can step harder on the pedal and replicate that gear play hit and this is different.
One more strange thing - my rear brakes have started to squeak later then, though the pads are still thick.
Attached Thumbnails rear end noise and lean to the right-.jpg  

Last edited by Arkin; 10-24-2016 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as the lean goes, every few months someone posts on here asking for new ideas, trust me I have been one of them. So as someone who has been in these cars since 2006, heres my advice, forget about it, learn to accept it. Theres basically nothing you can do about it and it remains to be an unsolved mystery on exactly why they do this. Some have had success with the watts link but not all. You would eventually end up like the rest of us spending money and time chasing it down to just accept it and move on in the end.

I will tell you that of all my friends not a single one noticed it until I pointed it out, then they couldn't not see it. My advice is just keep it to yourself
Old 10-28-2016, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkin
Greetings from Ukraine, men.
Got a 2001 base Firebird.
Did some search on the forum though still need some help.

1) Ok I know there are hundreds of treads about body lean and I've read all of em! but maybe some fresh ideas?
From the very first minute I have a lean to the right especially pronounced when standing behind the car. It's up to 1 full inch difference in spaces between tire and arches, though sometimes it is smaller, but I've never seen body leveled or leaned to the left. Front is a bit better but still up to 1\2 inch lean too. Maybe that's the reason why I was trying to deal with it from the rear end and did nothing at front yet. I swapped springs left-to-right, I installed the other set of springs, I changed three sets of shocks. Now I have Founders LCA and adjustable Panhard rod with poly. I had to shorten the panhard to the dead end, I wish I had 1\4 inch more since the axle is still positioned a bit to the left but that might be because of the body lean to the right that WASN'T GONE, so there is no help from my actions to conquer the body lean for now. I have new sway bar links though bushings to body are not new, but there is no evidence they are faulty. The only thing on my mind is a panhard bar attachment rail that is bolted to the body but I don't know if it could affect on body lean. I attached an image, that's a two years ago status though almost nothing changed till now, please don't pay attention to ground clearance since I had wrong tires installed then. You can see the upper edge of the trunk is not parallel to the roof line.
Please suggest something. Should I throw my attention to the front? I almost give up and about to put something under the right spring.
Like the above poster stated this is unfortunately a common thing with these cars. My guess is its a combination of being a phb setup (i went with a watts link and its seems to lessen the lean) and the actual spring mounts on the axle itself. I never bothered measuring but i bet the mounts are not the same height or angle or something.

2) Other problem I faced this summer. Right after I was out of the car shop I started to hear clunks from the rear. Here is the list what I changed on the lifter that day:
new AT trans mount
new poly LCA and panhard rod
adjusted panhard rod to center the axle
changed the rear axle bearings and seals
changed one c-clip
used new 75W-90 oil in the rear end
[/quote]
You poly LCAs could be binding and causing noise. You greased everything, right?
Dont rule out the possibility of your exhaust hitting the floor boards or a loose hanger.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:33 AM

Thanx for the answers.
I have unscrewed the PHB, rocked the car and made measurements again with no effect on body lean. That rule out the PHB. Maybe that is one end of spring that rotates against the other one and fix its position, twisting and shortening the spring that way. I've heard spring pig tail has to point front, I'll try that and put some grease under the spring and grease on the rubber spring seat, see if it helps. Next I will put some bushing or spacer under the right spring, I'm not the only one who notice this **** about my bird, I can't stand it.

As for the noises, I have put a lube inside bushings. Do I have to grease outside surface too? With silicone or other stuff?
I will double check my exhaust and shields. Maybe a fuel tank? If nothing helps, I will change u-joints, rebuild rear brakes, ring, pinion and bearings.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:33 AM

Thanx for the answers.
I have unscrewed the PHB, rocked the car and made measurements again with no effect on body lean. That rule out the PHB. Maybe that is one end of spring that rotates against the other one and fix its position, twisting and shortening the spring that way. I've heard spring pig tail has to point front, I'll try that and put some grease under the spring and grease on the rubber spring seat, see if it helps. Next I will put some bushing or spacer under the right spring, I'm not the only one who notice this **** about my bird, I can't stand it.

As for the noises, I have put a lube inside bushings. Do I have to grease outside surface too? With silicone or other stuff?
I will double check my exhaust and shields. Maybe a fuel tank? If nothing helps, I will change u-joints, rebuild rear brakes, ring, pinion and bearings.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel sorry for you man, you are beginning down the path, you start with a grease point there, lube job here, spring adjustment over there, and before you know it you've spent 35 hours working on it trying every home remedy under then sun which includes a Jamaican witch doctor and the car still leans. Godspeed sir.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:11 PM

I will relieve the pain soon, both mine and yours. I'm already thinking about the bushing I will put under the spring. Next I will check some other things and if I won't get a lean on the opposite side - I will forget about it with car leveled. Stay in tune.

Quick Reply: rear end noise and lean to the right