General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Parts Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Parts Recommendation

So I'm pretty sure that my A/C Compressor just took a **** yesterday. My car made this awful ******* noise from the passenger side of the engine, and when I turned off the A/C it went away. I turned it back on today and the noise is gone, but my A/C is blowing hot.

My question is however, how do we feel about the eBay A/C kits? I found one for like 200 bucks it comes with compressor/drier/orifice tube. The Delco compressors alone are about 350 bucks, and I don't want to spend that much if I don't have to. The shop is already asking 460 bucks for labor for everything, so its adding up.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:01 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Consider this: I know everyone hates the dealership. But go there to have a new compressor installed, along with the other little items they need to replace.

You will have a LIFETIME parts and labor warranty. You will NEVER pay for another A/C part, repair or labor again.

I did this at Sheehan Pontiac like 8 years ago. I have had a new compressor installed already and a new $300.00 A/C hose....plus all labor for free. So its already paid for itself and then some.

My entire job cost me $800.00.

If you go with an ebay kit you have no warranty....or maybe 60-90 days, plus shipping parts back and forth......or even any A/C shop, they will never give you a warranty either more than 60-90 days.....

Just a thought......

Old 11-01-2016, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had to make that choice 3-1/2 years ago and went with the OEM Delphi compressor (or AC Delco equivalent). Yeah, they will run you $375 with the complete drier/orifice kit. But they will also come with a 1 or 2 yr warranty from some distributors. I got one of those from Air Cond. Parts On Line. But to get that you have to follow their procedure in ensuring the system is clean before compressor installation. The $175-$225 compressors (4 Seasons and others) could get you 6 years or 6 months. I figured if my original Delphi compressor lasted 13-14 years, a similar replacement might do the same.

I'll have to check with my local Chevy dealer up here. But, I'd be surprised if any of them would offer a lifetime guarantee for a low mileage collector toy. Then again, most daily driverowners don't own their cars long enough to require such a guarantee on the first major AC repair.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:55 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Its just so nice to have a full parts/labor warranty for life.

Once I was driving around and the electrical wire that connects to the compressor shorted out. Sitting in a hot *** car in traffic....I drive directly to my dealer and in 30 minutes I was out of there with a new wire installed.

Same when my compressor took a ****.....drive it there the next day and sat there for about 1.5 hours and drove away with a new compressor installed.

Shipping compressors back and forth to suppliers under warranty....what a pain in the ***. Car with no A/C for up to a week, maybe linger. And you have to pay for labor and other parts that you need......

Not worth it.

Quick Reply: A/C Parts Recommendation