General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Question about start up procedure after storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 01:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about start up procedure after storage

I stored my 2000 Trans Am one year ago and I'm about to get it running again. Before I stored it I did the following:

1. Removed Battery
2. Filled up tank with fuel and additive for storage.
3. Put the car on stands, supporting the suspension not the chassis.
4. Polished, waxed and used cover for interiors.
5. Kept in garage.
6. Changed engine oil with synthetic type.
7. Added some anti-moisture stuff in the cabin.
8. Removed carpets

Now I will drive it for 15 days, but then will store it again for another year! So far I know I will need: a fresh battery, engine oil and coolant.

My question is if I should add the new coolant and oil right after I turn it back on again or wait until I'm about to store it again?

Anything else I'm missing or that I should do before turning it on?

Thanks,
Old 11-07-2016, 03:52 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

If you changed the oil immediately before storage (meaning no miles or significant engine run time on the oil), why would you change it again right after pulling it out of storage? Fresh oil sitting in an engine with zero usage is still perfectly usable one year later - especially synthetic and even more so when stored indoors and not exposed to rapid temp swings.

If it's due for a coolant change then you might as well do that sooner rather than later; this will give you time to get the level proper and bleed any air out of the system prior to putting it back in storage.

Sounds like you did great storage prep last time, I would suggest doing the same after the 15 day driving period.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Isn't 12 month old fuel gonna be a little old.....?

Old 11-07-2016, 07:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by LS6427
Isn't 12 month old fuel gonna be a little old.....?

With proper additive (which the OP said he used) and storing the tank full (less air = less moisture), 12 months is a non-issue. Mine has spent most of it's life on fuel that's between 6-18 months old - no problems at all following the aforementioned routine (even with our local E10 fuel.)
Old 11-07-2016, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Get as much of that old fuel out as you can over the 2 weeks. Siphon out whatever is left is needed. Unless you're coolant is 5 years old (assuming DexCool) I wouldn't change it unless a test strip or voltage tells you it's lost significant potency. The green coolant might only be good for a few years. Your synthetic oil might be good for 5-10 yrs, especially in a dry/warm climate. I've seen UOA's on little used cars like yours and the oil showed nearly full potency after 5 years. If you're going to waste a new battery every year get a $49 one from Walmart. It might even be covered under warranty each year.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Get as much of that old fuel out as you can over the 2 weeks. Siphon out whatever is left is needed. Unless you're coolant is 5 years old (assuming DexCool) I wouldn't change it unless a test strip or voltage tells you it's lost significant potency. The green coolant might only be good for a few years. Your synthetic oil might be good for 5-10 yrs, especially in a dry/warm climate. I've seen UOA's on little used cars like yours and the oil showed nearly full potency after 5 years. If you're going to waste a new battery every year get a $49 one from Walmart. It might even be covered under warranty each year.
I agree with using as much of the old fuel as possible over the 15 days. I just assumed that was the plan (driving the car as often as possible while it's out.) But what's in there now shouldn't need to be drained at all prior to current usage, based on the storage prep and period listed. I'd want to start with fresh fuel again for the next 12 months though; fill the tank fully again, and use the proper additive again.

You won't need a new battery every year if it's disconnected while in storage. It might need a charge, but if it was fresh (or will be a new one this year) it won't be junk in just one year of disconnected non-use. My Nova sits for ~6 months every winter with the battery disconnected and voltage is still 12.4x-12.5x in the spring. It wouldn't be discharged to the point of permanent damage in another 6 months.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your answers, I did change the oil right before storing it. I didn't know if it would be ok after one year of sitting there, I had no idea it could be good even after 5 years of storage, It's my first time storing a car.

I do intend to drive it a lot and will most likely burn all the fuel in the tank so I can add fresh one when I store it again.

The battery was at least 1 year old when I took it out, maybe 2. I'll check if it's still good to work with a charge or not.

The coolant was just a few months old, so based on what you're saying it should still be in good shape, but I'll check it anyway.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

when it goes back into storage get a Battery Tender and hook it up. It will keep battery charged until you need it again. Great product.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Think about boats. To store a boat for winter you fill the tank, add stabil, change the oil, fog it, pull the battery, then your done. Next summer you have to at least burn all of the old fuel, then the following fall rinse and repeat. People do this year after year and no damage, especially up north where boating season is only 2 months. No need to replace the battery if you had it at full charge when you pulled it. If you let it sit at weak charge for a couple years it's toast.

Quick Reply: Question about start up procedure after storage