General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Single barb vs multiple barbed fittings

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Single barb vs multiple barbed fittings

Which are better for what? From my understanding if you want a good seal for a vacuum line without using a clamp that single barb fittings are better and that if you use multiple barbed fitting you should use clamps? Multiple barbed fittings are always a pita to get off when pulling with your hands compared to a single barb fitting, but from what I'm gathering is that multiple barbed fittings do not create as good a seal on a line as well a single barbed fitting does.

Anyone have a preference or good opinion on this? Reason I'm asking is because I was wanting to use single barb fittings but my air/oil separator and catch can came with multiple barbed fittings and if single barb fittings don't need clamps on vacuum lines but multiple barbed fittings should be used with claims then I would rather invest in single barb fittings.

Single barb fitting

Multiple barbed
Old 12-13-2016, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

For an unpressurized air line like the PCV lines it shouldn't matter. For a pressurized line the single barb with clamp (must have clamp) seals better than multi barbed with clamp. For a while I was using a multi barbed brass connector with clamps on my power steering return line, it leaked no matter how much I tightened it.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:38 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by JROC
Which are better for what?
It all depends on the type of tubing that is going on the barb. For example, multi-barb would be a poor choice for hard tubing. (You can find some youtube videos that show why.)

Here's a good article on the subject: https://www.bnl.gov/esh/shsd/PDF/Com...troduction.pdf

So, I'd suggest finding the manufacturer and spec of the tubes going in and find what is recommended for their barbs and if clamps are needed and/or a good idea.

Quick Reply: Single barb vs multiple barbed fittings