General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery age?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery age?

Can anyone tell me how old the battery is? It's been in my '04 GMC truck a long time and still works fine, but I am replacing it anyway.
Thanks, Frank
Attached Thumbnails Battery age?-img_1252.jpg   Battery age?-img_1253.jpg  
Old 12-13-2016, 09:31 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It's either May of 2004 or May of 2014.
The laws of physics would seem to indicate the later date but:
- That label looks a lot older than 2014
- I'm pretty sure no one has made commodity/conventional lead acid batteries in the US or Canada for a while.

Could it be the original battery? When in 2004 did your car roll off the assembly line? (You should be able to figure that out by the door sticker.)

Last edited by wssix99; 12-14-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:12 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Hard as it may be to believe, that looks like an assembly line label. The labels used on post-assembly, parts counter AC Delco batteries are substantially different (and have been prior to even 2004.)

FWIW, I've noticed that the Group 78 sized batteries, like yours, tend to be more durable and have longer lifespan than some other models (such as the smaller Group 75 in the F-bodies.)
Old 12-14-2016, 08:12 AM
Save the manuals!

That unit belongs in the Battery Hall of Fame.

... but I would definitely replace it this winter. lol
Old 12-14-2016, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks wssix99. My suspicions and curiosity is the same. I bought the truck a couple years old and have never replaced it. It still works fine. I have now replaced it with a Delco. I wonder what I should do with it - it does deserve a place of honor somewhere.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:04 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 00fxd
I wonder what I should do with it - it does deserve a place of honor somewhere.
My first thought is to keep it safely in your cave. Your life could depend on it someday...

Maybe you could clean up the case/label with some rubbing alcohol and put a battery tender on it every year for a decade. At that some collector may drop a pretty penny for a factory battery that still runs?

^ Maybe RPM would know if such a market exists?
Old 12-14-2016, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

I may keep it around tho I am trying very hard not to be such a parts collector anymore.
I considered replacing it last winter and the winter before but it showed no signs of weakness. The truck behaves no differently with the new [800amp] battery ... I am listening and it seems to turn over cold with the same ooomph . I thought it might spin faster or something.

Last edited by 00fxd; 12-16-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:49 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I learned my lesson with old batteries some years ago. I kept having strange electrical issues on my 69 GTO with voltage regulators burning up, flickering lights, ignition modules getting fried (had to put the old points back in) and IIRC, (possibly unrelated) alternator failures.

The battery always cranked the starter over just fine, seemed to have plenty of power ... before I finally discovered it had an internal short. Replaced it and all those other issues went away.

So the moral of the story is ... don't trust an old battery even if it turns the starter over admirably.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:10 AM
Staging Lane

Sometimes even a new battery :-) Like the one in my '65 Corvette. Acted weird. Had tp change it prematurely.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I learned my lesson with old batteries some years ago. I kept having strange electrical issues on my 69 GTO with voltage regulators burning up, flickering lights, ignition modules getting fried (had to put the old points back in) and IIRC, (possibly unrelated) alternator failures.

this would be related to the capacitance of the battery, as in capacitor not capacity. and a capacitance test can be done but it takes somewhat expensive equipment to do it right... typically more than the cost of the battery so you just replace the battery in most cases.

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summa...tery-of-tests/

Batteries provide an additional less-well-known function of absorbing or dampening transient voltage spikes. This ability is called capacitance. Insufficient battery capacitance can cause perplexing driveability issues. Most of these result from excessive AC ripple current in the charging system, although a few are traceable to insufficient voltage spike dampening, usually originating in the ignition circuit.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:58 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
this would be related to the capacitance of the battery, as in capacitor not capacity. and a capacitance test can be done but it takes somewhat expensive equipment to do it right... typically more than the cost of the battery so you just replace the battery in most cases. https://www.motor.com/magazine-summa...tery-of-tests/
Yep, thanks for the tech. Somebody gave me that basic information back when it occurred. Up till that point, I had no idea of that aspect of battery function and the problems that could result. The ignition and charging issues I was having were a frustrating mystery until this was explained.

Quick Reply: Battery age?