General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Mufflers keep breaking!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mufflers keep breaking!

Hey guys. I have an 01 v6 firebird. (No cats) a few years ago I had to replace the muffler because it rusted or got baked and broke on the inside. It got so bad that the whole bottom of the muffler fell out and there was this huge hole. So 6 months ago I bought a hooker aerochamber from summit. I heard a lot of good things about it and figured I'd try it out. Well I removed the straight pipe where the cat use to be and put a glass pack there and put on the new muffler. Well 6 months down the road this muffler is broken from the inside. When you hit it you can hear it rattle. Wth is going on? I've searched everywhere and can't figure this one out for the life of me. I don't wanna go spend 100 bucks for a new muffler just to have it ruined 6 months down the road.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Is your exhaust all rusted up? Are you possibly getting water down the tail pipes and going into the muffler to cause it to rust and break up on the inside?
Old 01-20-2017, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Nothing else breaks. I've had the same piping on it since I got it and it all holds up just fine.

Last edited by BamaBird22; 01-21-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't think those Aero mufflers are very well made. I'd get a Stainless Flowmaster muffler.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They're mad you bought a V6.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

My next muffler will be a flowmaster or magnaflow. But my last muffler was a flow master, granted it was probably over 10 years old. Could the heat from the engine be baking the muffler? If not then could moisture be the issue and if so how would enough moisture find its way into the exhaust that it could cause THAT amount of damage in just 4 to 6 months?
Old 01-24-2017, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BamaBird22
My next muffler will be a flowmaster or magnaflow. But my last muffler was a flow master, granted it was probably over 10 years old. Could the heat from the engine be baking the muffler? If not then could moisture be the issue and if so how would enough moisture find its way into the exhaust that it could cause THAT amount of damage in just 4 to 6 months?
It keeps breaking because there's supposed to be an STS Rear Mount Turbo in that spot! Not a muffler *slaps face* - the stock muffler was just a place holder until you installed the turbo and the new muffler can't handle the heat build up from the lack of pressure to push out the exhaust fast enough!

j/k lol

Just wondering if running rich may cause this sort of an issue? Have you looked into that possibility?
Old 01-25-2017, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

SLP Loudmouth = No muffler.....problem solved.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
It keeps breaking because there's supposed to be an STS Rear Mount Turbo in that spot! Not a muffler *slaps face* - the stock muffler was just a place holder until you installed the turbo and the new muffler can't handle the heat build up from the lack of pressure to push out the exhaust fast enough!

j/k lol

Just wondering if running rich may cause this sort of an issue? Have you looked into that possibility?
lol your logic is undeniable! But I was wondering if running rich could be a problem but I've searched around everywhere and can't find a soul on this earth with same issue
Old 01-25-2017, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Short trips not getting the motor fully warmed up will cause condensate to accumulate....
Old 01-25-2017, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RixTrix
Short trips not getting the motor fully warmed up will cause condensate to accumulate....
Well I live in bfe so nowhere is ever a "short trip" lol
Old 01-25-2017, 11:44 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

There was a problem reported several years ago after Aerochamber production moved from Mississippi to Mexico of internal welds failing and producing bad rattles.

If a single outlet muffler works for your car, I'd replace it with a Hooker Maxflow and not look back. Better sound, better flow, and nothing in it that will ever rattle.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RevGTO
There was a problem reported several years ago after Aerochamber production moved from Mississippi to Mexico of internal welds failing and producing bad rattles.

If a single outlet muffler works for your car, I'd replace it with a Hooker Maxflow and not look back. Better sound, better flow, and nothing in it that will ever rattle.
That's an awesome bit of info. You think if I contacted hooker that they might give me a refund. Hate to see a 6 month old muffler go down the toilet. My 100 buck too, because of something hooker did. But no i do not have single outlet.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:48 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I doubt it, but no harm in trying ...
Old 01-27-2017, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a flow master on my 3800 car.. it sounded like an angry cow being chased by bees.. I'd go for the magnaflow, those tend to sound decent on the sixxers.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your engine running cold? Do you have a bad thermostat? Did you put in a 160 or 165 Degree thermostat. A cold engine will generate much more condensation in the exhaust. Also the fuel injection system will stay in cold engine (rich) mode aggravating the situation. Not to mention reducing fuel mileage significantly.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Austin Phil
Is your engine running cold? Do you have a bad thermostat? Did you put in a 160 or 165 Degree thermostat. A cold engine will generate much more condensation in the exhaust. Also the fuel injection system will stay in cold engine (rich) mode aggravating the situation. Not to mention reducing fuel mileage significantly.
I did have a bad thermostat I just replaced it two weeks ago and then the radiator just last weekend.

Quick Reply: Mufflers keep breaking!