General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Advance/Autozone parts return?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Advance/Autozone parts return?

My car has a extremely frustrating issue of dying randomly on idle. I was going to purchase a Throttle positioning sensor to see if that solved the problem and was wondering what everyone's experience is regarding returning parts? From what Ive read most of them state 'in new condition' but if I install the part and it doesn't immediately fit the problem, I obviously don't want to keep it.

If the item isnt in a blister pack, how the hell are they going to know anyway?
Old 01-26-2017, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Whisper
My car has a extremely frustrating issue of dying randomly on idle. I was going to purchase a Throttle positioning sensor to see if that solved the problem and was wondering what everyone's experience is regarding returning parts? From what Ive read most of them state 'in new condition' but if I install the part and it doesn't immediately fit the problem, I obviously don't want to keep it.

I think its going to vary from store to store to be honest. I don't "think" they're obligated to a replacement or refund unless the part is defective so it's most likely going to be a manager decision. Personally when I purchase sensors like that, I purchase them with the intention of keeping them even if they don't fix the problem and it's just one less thing I need to worry about down the road.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Take it apart and clean it.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:14 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

TBH I think that is a bit deceptive. Look, I get mad when I buy a "new" part and open the box to find one that was clearly "used" before. Don't be that guy... One's integrity isn't worth a cheap car part. Ok, I'm done, haha.

Your car doesn't throw any codes or anything, it just dies? Does it stumble then die or what?
Old 01-27-2017, 12:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Autozone, Advance, etc don't allow returns on used electronic parts. Once you've installed it, it's yours. Now if they can't see that from the packaging or the condition of the part, that's a different story.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:50 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been doing that for years......I've probably returned parts 50 times. 02 sensors I re-vacuum seal them in the bag they came with, MAF, TPS, IAT, IAC, Coolant Temp sensors...etc....

I've done it just to weed out items as the problem.

Just have to tell them one thing, its what I've said to them for 18 years with my Trans Am.

"The guy that owned the car before me modded it and it uses a totally different part, I wasn't able to install it."

Blister pack or not....you took it out and it would not line up with anything because its been modded.....
Just keep it clean......or clean it....before returning it. There is no way they can tell if you have installed it....as long as its perfectly clean. I've done it countless times. I've even driven around a couple days with parts that I returned this way.

There's nothing wrong with the part....you just hooked it up to see if it was causing the problem. Why buy parts and throw money away trying to find the problem...that can cost you $1,000 and still not fix the problem.

You're not screwing anyone over....they still have a brand new part with a 1 year warranty.

Last edited by LS6427; 01-27-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:57 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your issue of dying randomly probably is not the TPS.

I would look to Crank Shaft Position sensor or maybe Cam Shaft Position sensor. These parts, when failing, will not always give you a code.

Pain in the ***.....

Old 01-27-2017, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

too may people just throw parts at a problem and hope one is the issue. can get very expensive. get a scanner.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

I'm in the automotive parts business and I won't take an electrical part as a return, only exchange. I've been doing it long enough to look at the terminals to know if it's been installed. The problem I explain, is that if you have a wiring issue in your car, it could possibly cause the new parts to fail, thus creating an issue for the next customer if they return it.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS6427
Your issue of dying randomly probably is not the TPS.

I would look to Crank Shaft Position sensor or maybe Cam Shaft Position sensor. These parts, when failing, will not always give you a code.

Pain in the ***.....

Yeah it is most likely the poor fitment of the TPS to the 92mm Ebay throttlebody I got when I bought a used Fast intake. However, what makes me want to try a new TPS is the issue of the car falling on its face at 6k RPM during dyno runs and a guy stating he had the exact same problem and replacing the TPS solved the issue. For a 40$ part, its definitely worth the try but if this doesn't resolve the issue I don't want to **** away 40$.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As some one who has worked the parts counter, just tell them you didn't end up needing it.

With all of the online retailers your local auto parts store should be more helpful, and if the tps fixes it you bought the part from them.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:01 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Learn to troubleshoot the existing parts instead of firing off the parts cannon.

Nobody owns the service manuals these days and time is wasted.

Far more time then $40 worth.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd
Learn to troubleshoot the existing parts instead of firing off the parts cannon.

Nobody owns the service manuals these days and time is wasted.

Far more time then $40 worth.
​​​​​​
i own:

- PDF copy of the 93 fbody service manual
- Hard copy of the 93 service manual.
- hard copy of the Chilton repair manual
​​
Old 02-21-2017, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Local Autozones here will take ANYTHING back broken busted whatever. I was having blower motor problems burning up the controller. After they replacing 3 motors and 2 burnt up controllers I asked them what if it burns out again? They told no problem just bring it back and they will either replace or give me money back MY CHOICE needless to say I buy Autozone from now on.

Now Advance I had a bunch of trouble with their radiators AND their return policy. I bought new rad and after suffering for 5 effin hrs putting it in it leaked.....................ok pull it back out and realize it effin junk. Some of the crimps were not even crimped some missing in spots I told them I want a refund. NOWAY they said only replacement.......... SOOOO Advance gets me a replacement....same sheeettt NO GOOD. I had to contact a regional manager to get a refund so I could go buy a well made radiator at Autozone that doesn't leak and is well crimped. EFF Advance, bunch of morons work there. They tried to convince ME<a advanced engineering dood that not all the crimps on a rad get crimped and a little leakage is normal.

I was born at night, BUTT not last night.

GO TO AUTOZONE, good bunch of gals and guys in there that try their best to help.

Quick Reply: Advance/Autozone parts return?