General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My Electric-Life Window experiment is over...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Default My Electric-Life Window experiment is over...

BEWARE of the Electric-Life window option!

I installed the Electric-Life 3rd party window regulator/motor kit (http://www.electric-life.com/shopexd.asp?id=929) on my Firebird 4 years and 40K miles ago in order to escape the vicious cycle of window motor replacements.

(I made this decision just as the new Dorman window motor design was coming out.)

Over the life of the unit, the operation has been smooth and the regulator has seemed sturdier than the stock unit. Both driver's and passenger's side windows have worked at the exact same speed the entire time. The motors worried me at the time as they are kind of scrawny and don't seem to include a thermal cutoff feature. That worry was well founded as one of the motors just died.

At the time, the cost of the kit ($300) was like **** rape. Very painful, but I felt like I had to take it with a smile. Then, I just found out that the replacement motors are $80 a piece. So, I ran away and am not going to let them do it to me again!

Thankfully, I saved my old regulators and reinstalled them with the new Dorman motors. Even if these go out on me down the road, they will be free to replace (lifetime warranty) and can come out easy. (The Electric-Life motors can not be installed with the shbox method and have to come out with the entire regulator.)

BTW - The Electric-Life kit is made by this company: http://www.meritor.com/subsites/ligh...r/default.aspx It looks like they have a lot of experience with making auto window regulators, but these kits are low volume and are made in Italy. (Hence the expensive parts.)
Old 06-27-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the feedback. So right now you have the dorman motors with the old/stock regulators right? Any noticable difference between the motors or brands?
Old 06-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Save the manuals!

Right.

The stock regulators are not as smooth as the Electric-Life regs but that may be due to wear vs. quality.

The Electric-Life motors are much quieter than the stock or Dorman designs. The Electric-Life motors also kept their speed up through the entire life of the motor.

So, some good things over the OEM designs but I don't think they are worth the immense cost/hassle.

I've never gone through a full cycle on the Dorman motors, so we'll see how they do over the long run. Given that I have yet to hear of someone burning out a Dorman motor, I have high hopes!
Old 02-05-2017, 03:23 PM
Save the manuals!

Update: Over 5 years later and the updated Dorman design motors are still going strong - just like they did the day they came out of the box.

It's a shame these are no longer available. Hopefully we'll see the part again soon from another supplier.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why I have a new spare window motor in the trunk, of both LS1 cars. Takes about 15 minutes to replace. If needed, anywhere, anytime. Better to have and not need, than need and not have, especially if its raining.

Quick Reply: My Electric-Life Window experiment is over...