General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Things to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Things to do?

I want to freshen up my bird with my tax refund. It's my daily driver but I feel some things could be replaced or refreshed. Any recommendations? Suspension related? Bushings? Has anyone used any of the busing kits? I'm up to date on maintenance, oil change, fluids, spark plugs etc.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbirdls1
I want to freshen up my bird with my tax refund. It's my daily driver but I feel some things could be replaced or refreshed. Any recommendations? Suspension related? Bushings? Has anyone used any of the busing kits? I'm up to date on maintenance, oil change, fluids, spark plugs etc.
Even the fuel filter? I need to replace mine. I'm sure mine has been on there since the car was made. My first thought that came to mind, is if you haven't yet replaced your starter OR you have and you're still using the LS1 Car Starter, ditch it and upgrade to a truck starter..That thing is a ticking time bomb that will cost you a whole new engine if it blows.

Anyway, 90% sure your shocks are shot..maybe your springs are still okay, not sure. I'd personally upgrade them though and replace both sway bars.. your car will handle entirely different afterward. Also, replace the rear bump stops (under the rear wheel wells between the edge of the well and the rear axle) ESPECIALLY if you lower it. Replace all bushings with prothane along with your suspension.

You can also do a Brembo Brake upgrade and upgrade to 18 / 19" wheels... research in the suspension forum for that.

Or you can do preventative maintanence. If your fuel pump has never been replaced before, upgrade to a Racetronix.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
My first thought that came to mind, is if you haven't yet replaced your starter OR you have and you're still using the LS1 Car Starter, ditch it and upgrade to a truck starter..That thing is a ticking time bomb that will cost you a whole new engine if it blows.
I understand about the broken block issues, and how the truck starter prevents this, so it's not a bad upgrade at all. Though I'm not sure it quite qualifies for "ticking time bomb" status since many cars have not had any issues with this even after nearly 20 years.

I do agree with your recommendation for a shock replacement/upgrade though. Good advice there.

I also wouldn't bother with a job as involved as a fuel pump swap unless it was needed due to failure or massive increases in fuel demand. Even a brand new replacement pump can fail (including the aftermarket upgraded versions, which sometimes don't last as long as OE pieces), and it's a hassle to deal with, so again it's not something I would ever do unless it was needed.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have shocks and springs already too car is lowered, was done last year. I have the truck starter sitting in my shed too.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have shocks and springs already too car is lowered, was done last year. I have the truck starter sitting in my shed too.
Sounds like you're sitting pretty. What mods have you done to your car so far?
Old 02-18-2017, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Basic bolt ons, Lid, LT's, exhaust.
Strano springs
Old 02-18-2017, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Basic bolt ons, Lid, LT's, exhaust.
Strano springs
Honestly sounds like you can do what I need to learn how to do... put it in the savings account for a rainy day,..
Edit: Maybe you can start looking into upgrading to a 12 Bolt, or adding a stall converter / trans cooler
Old 02-19-2017, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definitely do the bushings and ball joints. Also, while I had my suspension disassembled, I cleaned up the arms and painted them. I also changed my inner and outer tie rods. If you do it yourself, it shouldn't cost too much. I just used Moog parts but I did have to take my arms to a shop to have them press out the old bushings and ball joints and then press the new ones back in after I painted the arms. Well, I only had to do that for the lower arms, the upper arms were easy.

Quick Reply: Things to do?