General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car not starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car not starting

I have a question about my 2002 WS6. A couple of weeks ago, I cleaned the engine with a cleaner and rinsed it with water. It didn't want to start when I was done, so I took my air compressor and blew the rest of the water away from the motor. After I did that, my car started. I put it back in the garage and went out a couple of days later. Now it doesn't want to start. I don't know if I got something wet that I shouldn't have or what I did. I had the battery checked, it's good. It cranks, just doesn't turn over. Any ideas to help get her started would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-07-2017, 11:57 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Hey I moved this to maintenance as it may get more response here.

When you say you washed it, did you soak the entire engine? If you got the starter wet it may have shorted out. But I doubt it. But it does sound electrical.

Had you got water past the manifold into the motor, it would crank and hydrolock and boom. So I don't think it's that either.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:12 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Water in the fuse box? Could have blown a fuse.

I don't spray my engine anymore for this reason. I did it one time on my old car and fried my ignition module...
Old 03-08-2017, 05:53 AM
Teching In

I checked all the fuses. I haven't pulled the starter yet. It's been too cold here lately. I may have to do that when the weather gets warmer.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the starter, my car had the same problem after water got to my old starter. I would for sure look into the starter
Old 03-08-2017, 09:20 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shotzie
I have a question about my 2002 WS6. A couple of weeks ago, I cleaned the engine with a cleaner and rinsed it with water. It didn't want to start when I was done, so I took my air compressor and blew the rest of the water away from the motor. After I did that, my car started. I put it back in the garage and went out a couple of days later. Now it doesn't want to start. I don't know if I got something wet that I shouldn't have or what I did. I had the battery checked, it's good. It cranks, just doesn't turn over. Any ideas to help get her started would be appreciated. Thanks
What do you mean....It cranks, but doesn't turn over....

Those are the same....NO....?

Do you mean the starter is spinning and the crankshaft is turning?

If the engine internals are spinning.......I would crank it while someone else grabs the wire bundle that is coming directly out of the PCM and see if it starts.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:22 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How can a starter die when it gets wet.....they are made to be able to handle rain, puddles and car washes that shoot water straight up into the engine compartment.

I've washed my engine 100 times.....I soak everything except the PCM directly and the fuse box directly.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:17 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

The starter itself can get wet. And even the wiring harness. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have an exposed wire or something that shorted when it got wet. Of course, it would dry out and stop shorting.

So something else happened.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Update to my original message.....Battery and starter both checked out good. I don't have any fuel in the fuel rail when I depress the valve. I sprayed ether in the intake, car started. I let it run for about 10 minutes or so. I shut it off and tried to restart, nothing. Checked the valve on the fuel rail again. Nothing came out. I don't know why it ran fine for 10 minutes or so then on the restart nothing. Is it possible to not have power to the injectors? I'm lost for right now. I can hear the fuel pump kick on when I turn the key, so I know it's not that either. Thanks for the help

Last edited by shotzie; 04-04-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Update to my original message.....Battery and starter both checked out good. I don't have any fuel in the fuel rail when I depress the valve. I sprayed ether in the intake, car started. I let it run for about 10 minutes or so. I shut it off and tried to restart, nothing. Checked the valve on the fuel rail again. Nothing came out. I don't know why it ran fine for 10 minutes or so then on the restart nothing. Is it possible to not have power to the injectors? I'm lost for right now
Try swapping the ignition relay in the fuse box with a fan relay from the fuse box behind it. The relays tend to go bad and the ignition relay is usually the culprit
Old 04-06-2017, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Thank you so much Chrysler kid, it was the ignition relay. I swapped it out with the fan relay and it started right up. Thanks again, made me happy to hear my car run again.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you so much Chrysler kid, it was the ignition relay. I swapped it out with the fan relay and it started right up. Thanks again, made me happy to hear my car run again.
Happy to help. My car was getting some nasty electrical problems, and let's just say the fuse box being directly behind the headlights, and not being water tight at all, caused quite the corrosion

Name:  20170405_164840_zpsluds3pm6.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  197.6 KB
Old 04-08-2017, 09:04 AM
Teching In

I'm glad I haven't had that problem. Now I'm going to check my fan relays because my car was getting abnormally hot on a couple cruises I went on last year. Thanks again
Old 04-08-2017, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Always nice when it turns out to be something simple!

Quick Reply: Car not starting