may have broke my ac compressor - LS1TECH

General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

may have broke my ac compressor

Old 03-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #1
TECH Fanatic

Default may have broke my ac compressor

finishing up putting everything back together from a motor mount install, and while torquing down the compressor bolts on the bottom i heard a crack sound and then fizzing, followed by now some sort or orange looking fluid slowly oozing from the rear bottom compressor bolt. Can someone clarify if i am leaking just oil or oil and the r134 refridgerant and if this sounds repairable or ill need a new compressor. Not too familiar with the ac system and looking for some advice, and yes im an idiot and overtorqued it.
usnfenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:17 AM   #2
TECH Fanatic

Broken case.
eseibel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
TECH Fanatic

what im thinking, i finished the install anyway, dont have the funds right now to replace all its crap. It has a very slow leak by that bolt, one drop will form every hour or so by that bolt and the fluid is clearish. However, still curious whether this is r134 or oil or both.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:34 PM   #4
TECH Regular

I believe the oil and the refrigerant are always mixed, and the orange coloration may be a UV dye that was added to check for leaks when it was last filled. There is a rear section to the compressor that may be what is damaged, I can't recall the name at the moment. Tip: if you need a new compressor, you can save a lot of money over OEM by buying a Delphi unit--which is exactly what the OEM one is.
eb110americana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #5
TECH Fanatic

Its the rear section of the casing, the fluid drips slowly from it and collects on to the bottom mounting bolt. In addition to the compressor is there anything else that has to be replaced when doing a new compressor such as lines or seals?
Old 03-15-2017, 07:24 PM   #6
TECH Regular

Yes, you need to replace the A/C drier (the aluminum canister by the battery and cruise control). This is required in case you need to make a warranty claim on the compressor. The A/C orifice tube is also highly recommended. I got both on RockAuto for about $36, not including shipping or tax, and they are the OEM parts. The compressor I got for a hair under $300 all-in from DiscountACParts, but you can save money if you don't go OEM/Delphi.

The paperwork that comes with the compressor suggests replacing the A/C condenser (the "radiator part" out front) if the car has suffered compressor failure, as there may be junk clogging the in the tubes. You probably don't have that issue, but inspect the outside for any other damage just in case.
eb110americana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb110americana View Post
Yes, you need to replace the A/C drier (the aluminum canister by the battery and cruise control). This is required in case you need to make a warranty claim on the compressor. The A/C orifice tube is also highly recommended. I got both on RockAuto for about $36, not including shipping or tax, and they are the OEM parts. The compressor I got for a hair under $300 all-in from DiscountACParts, but you can save money if you don't go OEM/Delphi.

The paperwork that comes with the compressor suggests replacing the A/C condenser (the "radiator part" out front) if the car has suffered compressor failure, as there may be junk clogging the in the tubes. You probably don't have that issue, but inspect the outside for any other damage just in case.

Yea its just a cracked casing, so no condenser replacement and I wont be turning the AC on until I replace the comp anyway.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:45 PM   #8
TECH Addict

If you need to get a compressor, now might be the best time tho. Autozone has a 20 percent off anything thats online. I just ordered a new delphi ac compressor for 255 plus tax. Its supposed to arrive on friday. Just a heads up.
The drier im going to order through amazon.
Zlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote