General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

non-working right rear turn signal on 1998 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non-working right rear turn signal on 1998 camaro

My right rear turn signal has stopped working. I checked the voltage and see it is getting 10v DC. When I check the voltage on my working left rear turn signal, I get 15v DC. I also took the light from the left rear and put it into the right rear socket and it doesn't work. Is the low voltage indicative of a bad flasher unit under the dash?

Last edited by racebannon; 03-22-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:01 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Your problem could be wiring, the socket, or the turn signal switch. (The flasher is shared across both sides.)

If the voltage is low, there won't be enough current flowing through the bulb filaments to operate the stock thermal flasher. An electronic flasher might get things to work - but you'll still have a problem and your bulbs will be dim.

If you set up an account on Autozone.com, you can go to their support section and download electrical schematics for the car.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:35 AM

I plan on switching the flasher later today. Update to follow.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Typically a flasher failure would result in neither side working on the vehicle.

My wife trans am is always fouling the front sockets, and frying the flasher. The cluster just illuminates the signal and doesn't flash, or doesn't illuminate at all

To verify if it is the flasher you can turn the hazards on. If the lights work with the emergency hazards on, but don't work with the turn signal you know it's just the turn signal flasher.

Most likely it's a loose wire on the socket for the turn signal. Try to push the wires into the socket with that turn signal on and see if it works, wiggle the wires with the flasher on and see if it starts to work
Old 03-24-2017, 02:43 PM

Woo hoo - it was the flasher!!! It was the original flasher. In fact, both blinkers now blink at a faster rate.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem, every time I stepped on the brake, the turn signal would go out. I found that the ground wire was loose. I tightened the nut and the problem was fixed. That ground bolt is behind the carpet by the rear trunk key.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:08 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by racebannon
In fact, both blinkers now blink at a faster rate.
This would violate all known laws of electricity and physics if all you changed was one flasher.

Quick Reply: non-working right rear turn signal on 1998 camaro