General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

replacement door handles dorman or plastic

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default replacement door handles dorman or plastic

my 94 door handles are fairly loose and make a lot of noise. I thought it was bushings, but they were fine. It's the handle itself. looks like just worn out and not a serviceable part.

So I ordered a dorman steel version for the driver side $23/amazon and 9/ebay for the passenger side that is plastic. Let's see how the quality is.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Keep us in the loop
Old 04-01-2017, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I replaced the driver side w dorman. I see a pin that looks like fell out of mine long ago. The ebay version came in. Its not plastic it is metal so goodness so far. Ill get installed later and update
Attached Thumbnails replacement door handles dorman or plastic-img_0887.jpg   replacement door handles dorman or plastic-img_0888.jpg  
Old 04-05-2017, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

A brief write up on the install would be nice if you have the time. Both of my handles have been loose for years!
Old 04-05-2017, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd like to see some more pics of your old handle. I think my driver's side handle is also missing the pin and I am wondering if maybe I can just insert one?
Old 04-05-2017, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
A brief write up on the install would be nice if you have the time. Both of my handles have been loose for years!
I can do it, fairly easy, just takes a little time because you have to take the door panel off. and get in there with a wrench behind the glass, but relatively straight forward.

This guy has it well documented.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...or-handle.html

Originally Posted by eb110americana
I'd like to see some more pics of your old handle. I think my driver's side handle is also missing the pin and I am wondering if maybe I can just insert one?
i would check and see if you can find the pin somewhere. i was not able to.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks. On mine, the right side of the handle seems well-located, but the left side (still driver's door) of it is all loose. So much so, that the paint has rubbed off on the top from contacting the door handle pocket.

I assume that either the pin is missing, or the left nut on the inside of the door is loose/gone. I played with the handle a while back, and I remember it feeling like there was no hinge pin on the left side, so I'm assuming it is missing the metal pin. The door was replaced before I bought the car, and they did a terrible job of it, so it has been this way for around a decade-and-a-half. I will check again soon. I have to get some manual pedals from a pick-your-part anyway, so I will see if I can yank a handle pin while I am at it. Those door handles are on freaking everything GM made since the 1970s.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:27 AM
TECH Resident

Seems I was mistaken. I checked today, and the pin is still there. It is actually the right side of the driver's handle which is loose. The hinge pin may just have some wear, making it smaller than it should be. Oddly, I do not see where the handle is touching the top of the pocket when I open it, but it could be farther back than I can see. The back piece seems tightly affixed to the door. Maybe the wear occurred before being transferred to the new door?
Old 04-09-2017, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

That screw may be loose. Take a look at the thread above. Its an easy fix just have to take door panel off

Quick Reply: replacement door handles dorman or plastic