General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Small hesitation/sputtering problem!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Small hesitation/sputtering problem!

Hey guys. i have a 95 camaro z28 m6. today i was driving to work about a 25 min drive in stop and go traffic and after the car warmed up a bit i go to take off and my car started sputtering. in every gear. it sputters/hesitates a little bit not a lot but u can feel it. it only does it when the car is warmed up and on light throttle around 1500-2500 rpms. when i give it mid throttle or WOT it doesnt hesitate at all at any rpm. but i always drive slow and dont drive the dog **** out of my car so i always drive with light throttle and just go through my gears. today is the first day my car has ever hesitated since i have had it about a year and half now. i do still have my slow starting in the mornings or after it has been sitting for a few hours i was going to buy a new starter but i havent gotten a chance to yet. now im thinking it is a fuel related problem. i hope that it is not my fuel pump. do u guys think its my injectors. i need to get a fuel filter and i will do that tom and hopefully that will fix it. it is real light hesitation sputter. not jerking and bouncing the car but a little bit that u can feel. i hope its just my fuel filter and not my pump. it only does it when the car is warmed up to normal operating temp. with my 160 stat it is at about 170-175. i just got back from work and it did it again. today is the first day it has done anything like this. help me out please thanks!
Old 08-27-2004, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

It sounds like it could be clogged injectors or a clogged fuel filter. I would change the fuel filter first to see if that clears up the problem.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:26 PM
Launching!

You might want to check the hose around your intake.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:05 AM
Teching In

which hose are you talking about that is aroundt he intake? the fuel lines? thanks let me know asap
Old 08-28-2004, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

any intake hose, pcv line, anything that might be a vaccuum leak. Also it could be the Opti, plugs, the ignition module (above the coil), wires, O2's, egr valve. If you do a search on this subject, alot of people are having this problem, to include me and few have figured it out yet. Some had turned out to be an assortment of these. I had a leak at the pcv but still have a power loss. So far I have replaced Opti, plugs, wires, coil, ign. module. The O2's are next.
Buy a fuel pressure guage at the parts stoe for @ $36 and check your f/p. The schrader valve is located behind the intake. there is a wire that you run a hot from the battery (+ side) to turn on the fuel pump . [Not sure on an F-body, I own an Impala SS.] Your pressure should be 41-43 psi (with the car off) and 37 static pressure (engine running)
Old 08-28-2004, 08:50 AM
Teching In

well my egr valve is having some problems, every once in a while it will throw a code and tur on the ses light but wehn i turn off the car and start it again it wont come back on. its really minor and has been doing it for along time so it hanst ever afffected my car running the way it does now and hesitating. it still could be it though. the plugs and wires were changed about a year ago and the opti ign module and coil i dont know when those were changed last i have yet to do it. the 02s is anothetr thing that might be it. i hope that my fuel pump is not going bad because that is a big problem to me. its pretty difficult to replace. i will try to get a guy i know to let me borrow his f/p guage or go get one from autozone to test it. thanks i just cant believe its doing this now. it still idles and runs fine like normal but only when giving it light throttle at 1500-2500 rpms it sputters/hesitates a bit something that is bugging me since last night.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:50 AM
12 Second Club

You should actually just turn the ignition in the ON position but do not turn the key far enough to engage the starter. You should not have to jump any wires out to start the fuel pump.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SAPPER
any intake hose, pcv line, anything that might be a vaccuum leak. Also it could be the Opti, plugs, the ignition module (above the coil), wires, O2's, egr valve. If you do a search on this subject, alot of people are having this problem, to include me and few have figured it out yet. Some had turned out to be an assortment of these. I had a leak at the pcv but still have a power loss. So far I have replaced Opti, plugs, wires, coil, ign. module. The O2's are next.
Buy a fuel pressure guage at the parts stoe for @ $36 and check your f/p. The schrader valve is located behind the intake. there is a wire that you run a hot from the battery (+ side) to turn on the fuel pump . [Not sure on an F-body, I own an Impala SS.] Your pressure should be 41-43 psi (with the car off) and 37 static pressure (engine running)
Basically, what this guy said. Sorry if I don't post earlier or say specific parts, but I only log on once a day. This has happened to me twice, both after an aftermarket header install. The first time it happened, the cause was burnt spark plug wires (I was wondering what was causing a really sweet smell, like after doing a coolant flush and driving around in hot temperatures). The guys in this forum really helped me out. The second time it was the hose that connects directly to the air intake. Uhm... it's the only hose you have to disconnect when you check/clean/replace your air filter. If that's not connected, you can experience those sputtering and hesitation problems. It took me three weeks to figure that out . It's always the simple and easy things most overlooked.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:00 AM
Teching In

yea its ok. im going to check the air pump hose i think thats the one ur talking about. another thing. my elbow is a bit ripped and it has been fine for a while but i havent had a chance to get a new one. u think if its sucking air from the elbow it will cause a little bit of sputtering hesitattion?
Old 08-29-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldnt think its your elbow because mine was ripped and I didnt replace it for awhile and it wasnt sputtering.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jordan57
I wouldnt think its your elbow because mine was ripped and I didnt replace it for awhile and it wasnt sputtering.
I agree with this guy. If you haven't solved the problem yet, and you get frustrated enough, you could take it to the dealer. State your problem and have them take a look. The pontiac dealership around here does a pretty good job at diagnosing problems (so long as you are talking to someone with a blue collar instead of a white collar). Just don't have them fix or replace stuff unless you have lots of $$$. Do it yourself.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:25 AM
Teching In

yea, i plan on going to my local dealer tom cause theres a mechanic i know that is the best one there. so i will let him know my problem and ask him to see what he says. maybe he will b able to pinpoint my problem and help me fix it. thanks again. do u guys think its the TPS sensor on the throttle body? thanks letm ke now asap.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:18 AM
Launching!

I recently had a low RPM sputtering problem, it was after my convertor took a dump and it turned out to be a busted 02 sensor, so that's where i'd put my money
Old 09-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Teching In

ok guys i have an update. i checked my car for arcing earlier today and theres no arcing whatsoever at any of the plugs. so i kind of determined thewires to be out of the question. since theres no arcing could the wires still be bad? they look ok to me from what i can tell. i know the plugs still could be bad though. i checked on the plugs and wires and it looks like a real pain in the *** to do the wires. the driver side seems ok except for when i looked at the last plug on the drivers side the one closest to the steering wheel. that wire is tucked under the heat shield of the exhaust manifold an dlooks like a bitch to replace. its tucked uner the heat shield. also on the passenger side i think i might be able to get to all the plugs but the wires look like even more of a pain in the ***. they are routed above the a/c compressor and underneath the alternator and then to the wires. how do you reroute these wires through the stock locations? do i have to remove the alternator? it really looks more of a pain in the *** now that i took a real close look at it. where do i get those new mounts that go on the valve covers? how much are they? i think i will be purchasing those now that i look at the wires. they look hella hard to do. also do i have to remove the crossmember to get to the plugs on the passneger side? it looks like i can get to most of them but the one on the front toward the front of the engine bay looks like i have to do it from the top. but i hope thats not the problem now. heres what i did do today though. i hcanged my fuel filter out and it seemed like it helped out quite a bit. i drove it a lil bit and it ran good then it started to hesitate just a tad and then i came home (only drove around the neighborhood) so i let it idle a bit then i took it out for another test drive and it didnt sputter or if it did i hardly felt it. i have to drive back to my apt now which is a small commute but i am working tom and have class and i am going to try to come back to test drive it again to see if it sputters/hesitates anymore. i hope that fuel filter fixed the problem, it seemed like it helped quite a bit but it still hesitated a tad after it warmed up. any more ideas? how much is the coil and how hard is it to replace it? also whree is the Ignition moducle how much is that na dhow hard is it to replace? i will be checking shoebox's site heres soon. well theres the updtate. let me know guys thanks.

Quick Reply: Small hesitation/sputtering problem!