General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Why does my battery keep dying?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why does my battery keep dying?

The car sat for a couple months...(kick myself in the *** for that one). I battery was totally dead...so I replaced it. It seemed to be working fine, but after 2 months or so. If the car sits for more than a couple days...it starts to die, and yesterday it did not start at all. It was driven end of last week.

When the battery dies...and I try and start it, there is just a clicking sound over and over again.

What do you guys think it could be.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

There must be a drain or a bad ground or something. I still have my original battery in the car and it's 5 years old this month (low miles on the car though) and the car does sit for sometimes up to a month at a time without being driven and the car still fires right up first try every time.
I just put in my Hawker lightweight battery last week so I will see if I have the same luck with it.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine did the same thing, found out it was my SLP Fan Switch mod. I unplugged it and my current drain went away. It was around 15-20ma
Old 01-06-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a fan switch....but I had that mod done long before I ever had any problems with the battery.

What else could it be...and is something like this easy to diagnose?
Old 01-06-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

It's probably just the cold. It happens to my car too. I leave it in the garage during the week while I'm at school and I drive it on the weekends. Sometimes it fights me a bit to turn over when it's been sitting for a week and it's really cold.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

My battery does the same thing. It's a Optima Red Top, not quite a year old and I did the same thing letting it sit for around 2 months with only one short drive. It had just enough power to unlock my doors so I could pop the hood and charge her up. The battery had dropped to 6.5 volts.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hmm. I just replaced the factory battery on my 98. It sits for weeks at a time cold and warm and it would crank over. i'd suspect an abnormal voltage drain or crappy brand of battery. I replaced my battery with a Delco professional since I had good luck with my OEM batt.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
There must be a drain or a bad ground or something. I still have my original battery in the car and it's 5 years old this month (low miles on the car though) and the car does sit for sometimes up to a month at a time without being driven and the car still fires right up first try every time.
I just put in my Hawker lightweight battery last week so I will see if I have the same luck with it.
How much lighter is that battery than a regular one? Also whats the life expectancy of one.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ZR2877
How much lighter is that battery than a regular one? Also whats the life expectancy of one.
Roughly 20-22 pounds lighter (it weighs only 13 pounds) than the stock one I think.
Off the nose of the car too.
Not sure of the total life expectancy of it though I'd assume it is definitely shorter than a stock one and certainly no where near an Optima, Interstate or Diehard Gold and will drain faster if a light is left on overnight or sitting with the radio on/car not running etc. But right now it fires up just like stock.

Quick Reply: Why does my battery keep dying?