General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car won't start after snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! LT1 QUESTION

I am having a problem with my 1993 z28, I live here in Kansas and it was snowing bad about a month ago. I have several inches of snow on my hood but it was starting to melt, and since it was snowy I had been driving my truck and not started my car in awhile. I get in and try and start it and it starts to turn over and I hear a loud pop and the car dies. I pop the hood hop out and see the positive on my battery is smoking. I look at it and figure it was water on the battery so I try n start it again and it doesnt turn over it just makes a clicking sound but I get power to my lights and radio and everything so I do not know what is wrong with it? Can anybody help?
Old 03-08-2005, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charge your battery. Your lights are probably dim, battery doesn't have enough juice to turn the motor. Cold weather kills batteries.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

If there was enough of a trail of water from your POS terminal to the body, you might have shorted your battery. What does your voltmeter say?

If your lights go dim when you try to crank it, it's either weak or trashed.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Teching In

I am going to get a new battery once I get off work so hopefully it is that, but if I try jumping it and have it connected shouldnt it start if it was the battery?
Old 03-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Teching In

yes, if the root of your problem is that the battery is dead, getting a jump should get the car started. keep in mind that if you go somewhere though, it will not hold a charge and probably not be able to start you back up once you got somewhere (provided the battery is toast).

Quick Reply: car won't start after snow