General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

MAF Cleaning how-to

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post MAF Cleaning, how to's

Hey everyone.

I am just in the process of getting my car ready for tuning.

During my time, I came across a recent GMHTP artical where the guys are redoing a High milage LT1. Well long story short they got tuning from Bryan Herter at Pcmforless.com. He stated that cleaning the MAF sensor will give more accurate reading for tuning the A/F ratio.

He stated that we needed to spray the MAF with contact cleaner, or throttle body cleaner. That was it. I wasnt sure exactly what to do so I emailed him last night.

Here is what he said.

Use electronics contact cleaner from radio shack to clean the maf, or throttle body cleaner from any autoparts. Just spray it liberally a few times and then let it air out.
yes, If I look at the dyno runs I can check it out.
Bryan

Bryan Herter
Lead Programmer of 94 and newer cars and trucks for
WWW.PCMFORLESS.COM
610-685-8871 M-F 1PM to 7PM Eastern
610-685-8872 Fax 24hr

So today, i take my descreened MAF off, its a little dirty in the housing. So I got some throttle body cleaner. At radio shack, they had contact cleaner, but it also said lubercant (sp) so I thought that would leave a film which would hamper the MAF's ability to read the air incoming. Also it was 10 bucks!?

I sprayed the inside of the housing, then to a paper towel, AVOIDING the filiments and I clean the housing as best as I could. Alot of dirt came off. Then I spray the elements then let it dry under my house fan.

I just put it on the car and started her up, no issues, no code. Seems to run nicely. So now when I get it tuned, it will read as best as it can.

If this helps anyone, let me know.

--
'94 Black Z28, 383 LT1 Breaking 11's SOON!

[b]
A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be sitting next to you saying "Dude, that was Awesome!!"
Old 06-19-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carbeurator / Throttle Body cleaner works fine, leaves no residue. There aren't really "electronics" in the MAF. Be causeful with the sensing wires, they are very tiny cols of very thin wire. It would be easy to blast them apart with a targeted jet of cleaner.

Quick Reply: MAF Cleaning how-to