General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

engine fails at driving speed

Old 07-28-2005, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine fails at driving speed

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and I sadly have to start with a help petition with a trouble I have with my firebird.
I own a firebird with a 2.8 MPFI engine from 1988, it have auto tranny with overdrive. I bought it second (or third) hand a year ago and had to do some minor repairs since then. 2 months ago the car suddenly stops and after few chechs I noticed that there is no spark. During this time I changed the coil, the ignition control module and the distributor cap and rotor. At last i bought a used distributor and the car starts smoth as ever. I was so happy till I pick the car and made a run, after 2 minutes of driving the car stops just like if there is no fuel in the tank. I start it again and it continusly stops. I left it started during an hour or so, pressing the accelerator several times and no problem, but when i actually drive it it starts to fail at 2000-3000 rpm "coughgging" till it stops. Of course there is fuel in the tank.
I think it can be a fuel filter or lines clogged, or maybe an overheating problem because the old distributor was "gripped" and thats why i change it (but temperature gauge stais in normal)but I dont know for sure what can be and what to do, so any kind of help will be wellcome.
Well thanks in advance for your help and excuse my poor english.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:57 AM
Teching In

any ideas of what can be?
I want to change the fuel filter anyways, can someone tell me a reference code for it, here in spain are hard to find any parts for the car and I have to go with many information I can.
Thanks again
Old 08-03-2005, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Hi again, as at this time anyone can help me I will be posting the progres I made with this trouble so if in a future someone have the same problem maybe this post will be usefull for future reference.
After several tests I had noticed that the engine starts to fail when reaches the nominal temperature(100 in my gauge), before that the car works perfect, shifts without problem and I have reached 5000 rpm without any problem. When it reaches the nominal temperature the car starts to fail when reaches 2000rpm and at least it stops and the "service engine soon" light comes on, I have looked for trouble codes but only gets the code 12. If I start the engine it comes on without problem but untill it cools it fails when rev.
The engine didnt "overheat", or if it does the gauge didnt reflex it.
I will look for a failure in the cooling system, and when I made any advance I will post it.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Restricted User

esta jodido tio!!!
Old 08-03-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

ghhggdfs

Last edited by HFLDtA; 03-02-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Teching In

thanks a lot, tomorrow I will check and tell something
Old 08-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Restricted User

see Alde this forum works!!!!!!!!
It is awesome!!!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Teching In

hi, again, I have cleaned the fuel filter (its imposible to find a new one in spain and one from usa will last a week at least). The filter was a bit dirty but there is no clue of rust in it. I have tested the car and the same thing happens, It works perfect untill it reaches the 100 ēC (normal temperature in my gauge). i will try with the cooling system and post my progres.
Hope to solve this soon.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

seriously i would ditch the 2.8 and get an ls1.

Search this Thread