General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Time for a Change - Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for a Change - Coolant

I just bought my 01 WS6 and the coolant is nasty looking. The dealership says it will cost $100 buck to do. Are there instructions anywhere? I'm no dummy and good with a wrench. I just don't want to make a costly mistake. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

$100,what a rip off!!! Just drain the coolant through the passenger side bottom of the radiator there is a valve there. Flush it and the coolant you need to use is the dex cool. Its the orange stuff it should say gm approved or something I think but its the orange stuff.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Import Patrol

take the cap off, open the drain **** at the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side, let it drain. Then take a hose and pour water thru the top of the radiator, let it run for 5 mins or so, until clear water runs through. Usually I will close the draincock and start the car for a few secs, with just water in the radiator, just enough to cir. the system, open the drain **** again. once completly done draining, close the ****. Use dexcool, fill. Start the car with the radiator cap off, might need to give it a little gas just to get the air out of the system, top off and call it a day
Old 08-20-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You would actually need to let the car run long enough for it to open the thermostat.

I drained mine, refilled with water. Ran the engine for 5-10 minutes so that the old coolant around the block and heads would get mixed in. Let it cool 30 minutes or more, and then repaet. I did it about 3 or 4 times before it was pretty clean looking. THEN, I added the antifreeze. I left the cap off and let the engine run untill I could see the water flowing in the radiator. Once the thermostat starts to open, the water level will drop a little. Top it up until it's steady at the top. Then you should be good to go. I don't think there is a bleeder valve on top of the engine is there? I parked my car so that the front was higher than the rear just to help make sure the air bubbles would flow to the radiator. I don't know if that necessary, but I did it just to be safe.

The only thing this method doesn't do is get the old water out of the reservoir. For than you need a hose to drain it. Stick a clear hose into the reservoir put the other end near a bucket and run some compressed air over the end. The moving air will create a vacuum and start the flow of water out. Once it's all out, add some fresh water until the dipstick thing reads OK.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

i think they were trying to get on that one!!

These guys have given great advice and that is wat you should do.

I would recommend if your gonna drain it through the drain plug/petcock valve, use a 21mm socket to remove and install, i just stripped mine and it took for ever to find another one and get the job done...
Old 08-26-2005, 08:30 AM
Launching!

hey guys I never put water in my radiator. I always use 100% dexcool/no distilled water. My car runs much better that way!!
Old 08-26-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

The product Dexcool escapes me at the moment. Is it antifreeze? Are you saying you run solid antifreeze with no water?
Old 08-26-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

When refilling, disconnect the coolant hose that goes to the throttle body. Pour the coolant in slowly and watch the end of the hose. When coolant starts to drip out, reconnect the hose and keep filling slowly. This will force a lot of the air out (check out www.installuniversity.com under thermostat change). I also let the car go through several warm up and cool downs in the garage before driving. The level will drop several times after sitting overnight, so keep topping off until is stabalizes.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:10 PM
Launching!

If you were smart you'd get it "flushed" 100% or near 100% fluid exchange, where as doing it your self you'll change about 40%-60% its your car.... lol
Old 08-26-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can't say smart or dumb, not everyone thinks spending $100 is smart. To some, spending the $100 is dumb when you can do it yourself.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Actually, if you refill-drain several times with distilled water until running clear, and then refill with dexcool (approx 50/50 mixture) you're effectively removing all the old coolant. It'll take some time, but you'll know what you did to the car vs. guessing what someone else did.